In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mosin Nagant 44 rear sight removal

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looking into mounting a scope on a Mosin Nagant 44.
Any tips on removal of rear sight?[?]

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Just need to knock out the pin with a punch left to right. There is a spring under the sight so careful not to let it get away in case u want to re-install it later.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a guy on U Tube who has done a complete sporterization series on the M-N. You might check it out. Link is down below.

My feeling from owning and working on a Finnish M-N is the quality of the barrel is the most important thing. I wouldn't be wasting your time on a W W II Russian made M-44. Try to get your hands on one of the primo condition M-44's, made after the war. I had a Polish one years ago, that was in virtually new condition.

EDIT #1,

The short barreled Mosin carbines are ugly guns to shoot. That's why I got rid of all the ones I owned. Their OK for truck guns to keep under the seat. If you want to mount a scope and do a sustained shooting. Go with a 91-30 or a Finn. There way more pleasant and easier to shoot, than the short barreled carbines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC0ULOSA5wg
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe very useful info...quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    There is a guy on U Tube who has done a complete sporterization series on the M-N. You might check it out. Link is down below.

My feeling from owning and working on a Finnish M-N is the quality of the barrel is the most important thing. I wouldn't be wasting your time on a W W II Russian made M-44. Try to get your hands on one of the primo condition M-44's, made after the war. I had a Polish one years ago, that was in virtually new condition.

EDIT #1,

The short barreled Mosin carbines are ugly guns to shoot. That's why I got rid of all the ones I owned. Their OK for truck guns to keep under the seat. If you want to mount a scope and do a sustained shooting. Go with a 91-30 or a Finn. There way more pleasant and easier to shoot, than the short barreled carbines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC0ULOSA5wg
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pin drives out as said, then the sight drifts forwards off the dovetails. I have installed at times a scope on my Mosin 91/59, also a short-barrel. Mine has a fine bore, and shoots quite well. There is a lot of muzzle blast with mil-surp ammo, which uses powder I guess was designed for longer barrels. The muzzle flash in dim light is impressive! Anyway, without having to modify the gun in any permanent way (the WWII rifles are a piece of history, and should be preserved), a forward mounting scout-type scope can be mounted and used to good effect. I actually use a Leupold M8 2X pistol scope on mine. I shot my very best Pennsylvania whitetail buck with this rifle and scope setup a few years back, using PRVI 180 gr soft-point ammo.