In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swiss and Italian Vertterli

spinneyrobspinneyrob Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
The Swiss and Italian Vetterli rifles are quite different and yet related. I'm aware of the major differences. My problem: I need a firing pin for my M1870/87/15 Italian Vetterli but can't locate one. I don't plan on actually shooting the firearm; I only want the action to work properly. (It doesn't dry-fire when the firing pin is missing.) The Swiss pin has the dual prongs at the striker end; the Italian pin has a smaller needle nose. Other than that, they appear to be about the same. Could a Swiss Vetterli firing pin be made to dry-fire in the Italian Vetterli? I realize some work would need to be done to the two-prong striker end. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    oops....I should make clear that I have no firing pin at all, not just a broken one
  • Options
    edited November -1
    a second oops.....to be precise, I'm referring to what is called the striker....it's about 6.5" long and has the small firing pin attached
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Interarms imported and sold them years ago. The couldn't get rid of the them. So they converted a bunch into floor lamps. And sold them as decorators, for the man cave.

I'm dead serious, one turned up at a local flea market awhile back. Guy that was selling it, was convinced it was a super rare valuable antique. Something Mussolini had made as a award.

Everything turns up on fleabay sooner or later. Initiate a search for for Vetterli floor lamps. If you luck out you can snag a firing pin off one. And still use it as a lamp.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by rufe-snow
    When Interarms imported and sold them years ago. The couldn't get rid of the them. So they converted a bunch into floor lamps. And sold them as decorators, for the man cave.

I'm dead serious, one turned up at a local flea market awhile back. Guy that was selling it, was convinced it was a super rare valuable antique. Something Mussolini had made as a award.

Everything turns up on fleabay sooner or later. Initiate a search for for Vetterli floor lamps. If you luck out you can snag a firing pin off one. And still use it as a lamp.

Yes, I too have seen these turned into lamps. So there is hope. I see these rifles on GB going for less than 200 at times.

I too remember when these hit the surp market. They just did not sell like other surps. Ammo being scarce and .268 bullets are hard to find, plus rumors and warnings not to fire these rifles with modern ammo. Aside from that, I know one guy that shoots his. He reloads.