In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is There a Gunsmith on Here Who Will Sporterize a

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
Mauser?

I have an 1893 Turkish Mauser. I want the barrel cut shorter, drilled and tapped, and the bolt bent. I also want a simple, wood, Monte Carlo stock. 14 1/2 inch length of pull.

This rifle is an antique so I could ship it and we wouldn't have to mess with a FFL

Comments

• DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try contacting Evans Compton in Clemmons NC (336) 766 0271 He has patterns for almost any rifle and is very reasonable. Also try Ricky Evans in Winston Salem (336) 766-6501 to do the alterations
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your source that documents the fact that your specific rifle was made prior to 1899?

Also, curious as to how much you expect this project to cost?

Neal
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "This rifle is an antique so I could ship it and we wouldn't have to mess with a FFL"..............just to note; this doesn't apply. ANY gunsmith you ship it to will have a ffl, and he can return it directly to you. Also are you ready to spend +- $300 to convert a $150 into a $150 rifle?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 MIKE WISKEY. Good candidate for a DIY project. Hacksaw the tube, crown with ball bearing. A pipe cutter will scribe a nice line. Epoxy the mounts in place, then drill and tap after you are sure everything is lined up correctly. Glue and screw a piece of matching wood on and then shape into a cheek piece. Maybe a lace on leather sniper one. Masking tape the rear of the stock, chop saw to length

Bending the bolt is best done with foraging blocks. Perhaps a weld on spoon type.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Mauser?

I have an 1893 Turkish Mauser. I want the barrel cut shorter, drilled and tapped, and the bolt bent. I also want a simple, wood, Monte Carlo stock. 14 1/2 inch length of pull.

For a cheap Monte Carlo stock, Richards Microfit lists a clearance Brown laminate Safari Monte-Carlo for a Mauser 95 in their "Bargain" list for $80. Its 96% so you might be lucky enough to get a drop in fit, though you also may have to do some minor fitting.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sierra_monte_carlo.htm
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the do it yourself...

What have you to lose?