In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Purchasing An M1 From The CMP Store

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
I live in Colorado and plan to visit the CMP Store in Anniston, AL, at the end of January, 2014. While there, I want to purchase an M1 Garand instead of ordering one through the mail. I'd rather inspect the available rifles and pick the one I want rather than chance it to luck. I'm a retired vet and qualify to puchase from the CMP. Must I do anything in advance, i.e. fill out and mail in paperwork, to purchase a rifle in person at the CMP Store, or can I just walk in with my retired military ID, complete a background check, pay for the rifle, and walk out with an M1? I know that I generally can't go to another state and buy a firearm as a nonresident. Do the CMP stores follow a different set of rules for face-to-face sales to out-of-state residents? Would appreciate any advice on making this purchase easy and pain-free. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just show up with the papers/ID you mentioned. They will have you fill out the necessary paper work needed there. You can look over what is on the floor, pay and get the gun on the spot or have it shipped directly to your home( having it shipped avoids paying the AL sales tax that is about 9%). Buying a long gun out of state is not a problem as long as it is legal in both locations. Be sure to check the days and hours of operation there.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    All of the information about odering an M1 from the CMP can be found here:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/orderinginfo.htm

Understand that the CMP is not a gun shop, there are requirements that must be met before you can obtain a rifle so be sure to look over the eligability information and have all of your paperwork in order before you visit the CMP store.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Mark said, YOU MUST MEET ALL OF THE REQUIREMENTS.

Your military ID is not proof of citizenship.

You must be a member of a CMP associated club.

I recommend that you print their application & fill it out before you go. That will save you time & avoid omitting any of the required documents.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would budget some time in to look them over IF they will let you pick one. Plan for about 10 to 15 minutes to inspect each one if they are in the clear, not much to do if they are wrapped up and full od cosmolene.

A buddy and his wife got their M1's from there I think. One is super nice, the other well it shoots.

Best of Luck - Having no shame, I'd ask them if they could point me to good one to start.

Added Thank you for the link mark Christian. I'd be there all day looking them over.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Understand that reports from the CMP stores, both north and south, detail very limited inventory of non premium M1s; perhaps one or two dozen M1s in the entire store. I had planned a trip earlier this year but ended up canceling it due to there being little on the shelves.
  • Options
    seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you go to the store it would be a good idea to check if they have inventory - some folks have gone there and found the 'cupboard bare'

Check the CMP site and the communications forum. Usually there is a thread 'South Store' and you can see from other visitors what was available for purchase Opps 2 minutes late[:I] Mark akready gave you the 'heads up' (I am a slow typer)
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Lots of good suggestions here. While I have never done this, I would prepare like I did to get my drivers license recently at DMV to "prove" my citizenship.....that is: take several forms of ID to prove you live where you say you live; passport, if you have one; birth cert; perhaps even several "bills" with your current address like phone, electic and such. If you are going to drive that far make sure you are ready with what you need....give them a call and talk to them before you go. Anyway, just suggestions and good luck!!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can call and check with the CMP staff on what you need to take with you. Very helpful folks. If you are retired military, you meet the "participation" criteria without belonging to a club. Military ID is not proof of citizenship UNLESS YOU ARE A COMMISSIONED OFFICER- since officers must be US Citizens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We typically do not allow links to other web sites but I hate the idea of your driving all the way to Alabama only find racks mostly empty of M1s. This is todays report from the CMP South Store.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=126179&page=2

If you can make due with what few rifles they have on the shelves then by all menas make the road trip, otherwise mail order may be a better bet.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    ok, from the link above. what is "AYR AP"? (I know it is armor piercing).
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    ok, from the link above. what is "AYR AP"? (I know it is armor piercing).

AYR
    A/S Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikker, Raufoss, Norway

http://www.{burp}.com/showthread.php?t=31633