In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911A1 question

spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
What causes a 1911a1 style of pistol to have stovepipe jams? I have a 45 that has at least one FTE out of each magazine.I have tried different types of quality magazines with no luck.I bought this firearm new about 5 years ago and has had about 1000 rounds of different quality ammo thru it.Extractor problem? This is a mil spec 45.The problem started after about 200 rounds had been shot thru it.The maker of the pistol is a secret.
EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have recently inherited a colt 1911A1. It is marked government property, & was given to my grandfather by a relatively famous KBI agent. My question is, how do you tell if it's a parts gun, or if it is all original? I am pretty sure that it is all original, but the serial number on the frame is all I can find. Where do I look on the slide to see if it is matching? It is priceless to me either way, but one needs to know for insurance purposes. Thanks in advance, Dan

Proud member of the NRA

If it ain't broke-it ain't ours!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the different of an non-ramp and an ramp barrel? Need to replace the barrel of my 1911, what is the easy to fit to the pistol?

Thanks
    Spec.4

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the original 1911 had the feed ramp built in with the frame, whereas the "trick" ones nowadays have ramped barrels.

ramped:
    clark30.jpg

non ramped
    clark31.jpg
  • Options
    Bopeep2Bopeep2 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Brownell's" catalog has a wide variety of replacement barrels for the 1911. A discription of which models they fit can also be found there as well.

"All The Way"! AIRBORNE
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a stock 1911, a ramped barrel WILL NOT fit! The ramped barrels require the frame to be milled out. The purpose of having a ramped barrel is that they better support the cartridge toward the base of the case. With most commercial loads, especially with the low pressure .45acp round, this isn't a problem.
    The reason ramped barrels came into vogue was because IPSC competition shooters started hotrodding .38 Super to very high pressures (bordering on .357 Mag levels). Without the extra support ramped barrels provide, the cases tended to blow out.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mpolans is correct

Also ramped barrels work best for 1911's that where very short and cut down on the length of cycle, why do you need to replace your barrel?

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello once you mill out the frame for a ramped barrel you must always use a ramped barrel on this frame unless you weld the frame back up. To mill out a frame for a ramped barrel should be done by a PISTOLSMITH that specializes in this kind of work.It does take some of the twisting forces off the locking lugs if done correctly."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need to replace the barrel cause wife drop my 1911 and damaged the crown. Thinking of having it recrown.

spec.4

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you did not say what type of 1911 you had but If it is 1911 to shoot and have fun with but not a match gun then I would buy a barrel that does not need to be "FITTED" . However if you want a gun for target work and you need to replace the barrel I would buy a KART barrel that needs to be fitted. Brownell's is a good place to look.