In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Interesting Luger Question

grcwt55grcwt55 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I was at a gun show recently, and a lifetime militaria collector had this 1920 DWM Commercial .30 luger for sale for $500. Not just any luger, this one had the entire front sight removed/ground off, and had been converted by the german military for port firing use in armored vehicles. It has matching numbers, original commercial markings, seems mechanically sound, but I want to install a new .30 luger (or convert to 9mm, as I have heard is easily possible) barrel and re-blue the gun to be my first "shooter". Before buying, I would like to know more details from "the experts" on what exactly I would be getting myself into... Thanks, Zack

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The story about the German military grinding off the front sight "strains the limit of credibility". In other words, the gun was altered by Bubba.

The question of "matching numbers" becomes irrelevant after the first part is replaced or mutilated.

Overall condition of the gun needs to be considered, especially if it has been refinished. Many Lugers from this era have serious problems that require close examination under bright light to diagnose, such as cracked upper receiver or corroded breech block. Replacement parts are pretty much limited to Gun Parts Corp & the auctions, & parts aren't cheap. The lighting & limited workspace at gun shows usually makes it difficult to tell the true condition.

My last Luger project started with a free gun, but I got into it for $200 before I found that it was hopeless. Starting out at $500 gives you no room for problems; at best, you will end up with a refinished Mixed Parts Mongrel.

I was at a gun show last weekend, & saw a couple of Luger "shooters" in the $600-700 range. That seems like a better value than the gun you are looking at. Besides, the seller would have fixed the gun himself if he thought it was feasible.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree 100 % with Neal but he is nicer then me "Strains the limit of Credibility" from Neal would become BS from me. If this seller would make up this story "how small was this so called port" that a front sight would keep the pistol from going in it are you going to aim by turning the whole tank?. I would not believe or buy from this seller.[V][V][V][V][:(][:(]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to mention that the "German military" did not use .30 Lugers.
  • Options
    jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not just any yo-yo can rebarrel a Luger without destroying it.
    You need the right fixtures and tools, and some knowledge, which
    right away eliminates 90% of the clowns out there with bigger and
    better hammers and smaller and smaller brains.

Besides, you'd always be haunted (or I would be) by this
    voice which would say: "If they idiot who owned this
    mutilated this thing like this, what else did the moron do?"

And if you find out, it is likely to be unpleasant.

On the other hand, with commercials, there are no hard records,
    and if you had a 'smith with the right stuff do a conversion to 9mm.,
    well, not too bad.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Numrich in West Hurley used to have Luger barrels made up.
    Luger barrels are screwed in so tight that the receiver ring will be damaged if you try removing the barrel without cutting a groove about 1/8" deep all around the barrel no more than 1/16" from the front of the receiver(tuning fork). This relieves the compressive stress on the joint. The barrel is junk anyway.
    The barrel will be destroyed but will come out without damaging the receiver.
    Receivers are soft and will mar easily. They vary in dimension so it's a risk to the receiver to attempt to remove these barrels with an action wrench.
    Unless you really want the 3 5/8" barrel, enquire about 6" 9mm barrels that are better for accuracy and velocity. Barrel change is the only thing necessary for conversion to 9mm.
    With a 6" barrel in .30 cal you can get serious velocity from handloads. if that interests you, research American Rifleman archives for a comprehensive article on the 6" 30 Luger.
    The author shoots prairie dogs with his. He invited me to come out and help him.
    Let us know how you make out.
    On second thought there may be a difference in strength between slidesprings of the two calibers. Check with Wolf Springs if you go ahead with the conversion.
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Not to mention that the "German military" did not use .30 Lugers.

Could not agree more! You may ask him about this little fact, and get a really good story....It was a special unit made up to move Hitler in a special APC, only two known to be made etc etc. Please post the rest of the story, a little humor is always enjoyed by all.
  • Options
    jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. I am reminded of all of Hitler's and Goering's and
    Rommel's P.08 "Lugers", all buffed to bits and chrome plated,
    I was being offered until recently. Not surprisingly, many
    of the potential sellers were upset that there were "ordinary"
    blued Lugers selling for "thousands" and no one would offer
    them a dime for their grotesque, mangled monstrosities.