In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning BDA 45

DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Have one 30+ years old NIB with smooth metal (non-park) area on both sides of slide turning plum (as on old SuperBlackhawks). Noticed first time today and wondering if this is common or a finish flaw. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most likely the ALLOY of the Slide some people Love the PLUM color but others Hate the fact it does not look like every other gun they own. My suggestion is leave it as is.

EDITHello Lefty. Let me be perfectly clear. There are MANY ALLOYS of steel just ask a Knife maker. I did not imply the slide was NOT steel . What I did imply was the content of other metals like Chromoly or other Steel alloys most time these trace elements are mixed/ALLOYED to make for TOUGH or HARDER steel.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Most likely the ALLOY of the Slide some people Love the PLUM color but others Hate the fact it does not look like every other gun they own. My suggestion is leave it as is.

I neither love it nor hate it, nor would I change it. Just curious as to how it happens while in a box in a safe all these years. Thanks.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Metal content, early winchesters will smetines do that, shotguns with cast frames will as well.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "slides" on the BDA .45's are not alloy, the frames are. The slides are carbon steel. I still have the BDA I carried at work years ago, fine guns.