In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Identify this S&W Top Break .32.

GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
I need help identifying this S&W revolver. The barrel is 3 1/2 inches, it has a pinned front sight, the serial number on the bottom of the grip and on the rear of the cylinder is 98877. This is nickeled and engraved; it looks original to me. The grips appear to be mother of pearl. At least 80% nickle remains. This works double action only. Is it supposed to work single action also? The top of the barrel has two lines of inscription.(I may be wrong on some of the dates, they are small and hard to read!) The top line looks like: SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A. PAT'D JAN 24 60. The bottom line looks like: JULY 11 65 REISSUE JULY 26 71 MAY 11 82 JAN 6 89. I would like to know the model, date of manufacture, and approximate value. Thanks!

[img][/img]Gun62.jpg

[img][/img]Gun28.jpg

Gun110.jpg

Gun91.jpg

[img][/img]Gun81.jpg

[img][/img]Gun51.jpg

[img][/img]Gun36.jpg

[img][/img]Gun44.jpg

[img][/img]

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks to be a 4th Model, 32, double action, circa 1890's. Other then that one area on the left side of the frame it appears to be in excellent cosmetic condition. If everything is factory original, i.e. plating, engraving, mop grips it would be worth a premium to a collector. Maybe one of our S & W collectors could help authenticate it?

EDIT #1, Being Nunn's S & W is engraved and has a factory letter to back it up. This one is most likely also factory. If anything the engraving on this 4th Model, looks like much higher quality then the one Nunn has on the auction.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    My .32 S&W top break has a final barrel date of May 1880. My SerNo is in the 10K range, and I believe I have the 2nd model, so...

Yours is a later model. .32 S&W 3rd model?. Price in condition depicted about $125-$150. Not an uncommon representation of top-breaks.

Sometime during the production run S&W used a square sideplate, either prior to the 2nd model, or after yours. Don't remember.

Best, Joe

Antique-5.jpg
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Flayderman's info is correct, the serial number and patent dates identify it as the 4th Model suggested by rufe-snow. Value is listed as Very Good $200 to Excellent $325. The engraving and pearl grips may be aftermarket, as at least some factory pearl grips had S&W medallions.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 1st and 3rd model- both nickle with pearls. Let us know if it goes up on the auction.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,022 ******
    edited November -1
    For $50, you can get a letter from Smith & Wesson.
  • Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any idea as to DOM?
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunswapper
    Any idea as to DOM?

Flayderman states serials under 209,300 made before 1899, so yours with 98,000 serial and 1889 patent date probably made early 1890s.
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The engraving does NOT look like it came from Smith and Wesson. You can call Smith and Wesson and get info and as listed $ 50.00 for a letter. The curves on the engraving are not high quality and the condition of the gun takes it out of collector status to many. Not a lot of money for an neat gun though. Enjoy it.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,022 ******
    edited November -1
    I can't say for yours, but this one is factory engraved:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252013709