In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Double Rifle Gunsmith

R358WR358W Member Posts: 24
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum. I had a double rifle built for me based on the Remington/bakial side by side by a "gunsmith" located in Maine. Unfortuniatley, the "gunsmith" got my money and I got a rifle that does not work very well, to put it politely. So, I am looking for a reptiable gunsmith with a background/speciality in double rifles. I would greatly appreciate any sugestions. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I am sorry to say that you have a rough row to hoe. most master gunsmiths will not touch another Custom Gunsmith's botched work. In my opinion the Remington Bakial is not very good quality to build a double rifle on. With that said find a copy of Double Gun Journal and look at who works on Drillings. You might also search internet on Drilling Repair.

EDIT Hello Double rifles have a ZERO at One Distance and one distance only. The barrels center line is closer at the muzzle then at the breach. Thus the barrels Converge. Try shooting at 100 yards. If you can try at this range on a very large target the zero between barrels may be actually better then 15 yards but may be much worst If I read you results correctly. Also are you saying the breach face of the barrels to receiver Has Moved and now has a gap [?][?] If so then I suggest you have over stressed the Receiver and have a very costly boat anchor. [:(!][V][xx(][:(]. Double rifles from even the BEST makers regulate their double rifles for ONE distance with one and only one load. IT is really a CRAP shoot if you don't use the same EXACT load they set the gun up to shoot. GET a DOUBLE RIFLE BARREL SET FOR A VALMET MODEL 412 OR 512 you can adjust both vertical and side to side[^] The same receiver will interchange barrels Shot gun over Shotgun as well as one Shot barrel and one Rifle barrel. Lock up is VERY STRONG
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did your "gunsmith" give you a specific load for your gun? Doubles are regulated using one type of ammunition. Also how large of a group does it shoot now?
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem/Baikal mades(made) a double rifle. Why would you have not just sought out one, same or better gun than conversion of a Baikal?
    Read mixed results on the Baikal sxs, some having trouble getting the bullets to coincide vertically, there is a regulating device for lateral movement but not vertical.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys. The smith was to build the double rifle on an action for me-but failed, so I had him fit the barrels onto the baikal. Also, I wanted a different caliber than the 30-06 or the 45-70 that was offered. Right now at 15 yards the barrels are shooting as follows: right 3"(+-) to the left of aim, left 3" (+-) to the right of aim. I am able to sight in one barrel pretty much dead on, but the other barrel will shoot way off to the side. I am using a bench, lead sled plus. I have the rifle topped with a Leupold VX-III, 1.5x5. I have tried a couple light hand loads using 200 gr. I tried using factory loads and the action opened up after firing 1 round about 1/128". So that stopped me from firing it. The so called "gunsmith" will not return my calls or emails.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by R358W
    . I tried using factory loads and the action opened up after firing 1 round about 1/128". So that stopped me from firing it. The so called "gunsmith" will not return my calls or emails.

It's not clear what caliber/cartridge you had him chamber it for? But the action opening after firing a factory load seems to indicate that the rear thrust caused by firing the cartridge is either greater then the Baikal was designed for, or when he fitted the barrels he screwed
    up.

EDIT #1, If the standard double rifle version of the Baikal was sold in 30-06. I don't see it having the problem you describe in .308 unless the installation and lockup of replacement barrels weren't correct. No wonder he won't answer your e-mails or phone calls.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the cartridge was the .308 win.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter: there is a slight gap at the breach. I tried it at 100 yds and the barrels are at about 8" horizontally appart from each other.
    I know I am better off starting over. Therefore I am looking for a double rifle builder.
    Thanks for all your comments and for any names.