In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

open sights

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
If I am hitting low with open sights do I raise or lower the rear sight on the sight ramp?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    if rear sight is all the way up & gun still shooting low do i need a taller or shorter front sight?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a Dan Wesson 44 Mag. I bought with a scope on it. Want to put opens on it but can't find any to fit. This is an older Dan with a 4 digit serial No. and the Millet sights for Dans are to short. Can any one help?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    need to raise the sights on a muzzle loader. should the rear sight and front sight be the same height? exmp. .500 rear and .500 front
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Raise it. This causes the barrel to be tilted up slightly higher resulting in higher POI.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    briguy,

Always move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to move. Move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to move.

Best
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    briguy,

Always move the rear wsight in the direction you want the bullet to move. Move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to move.

Best
    Huh? What you say about the front sight is wrong for windage- if you want the bullet to go left, so that your sights are aligned with the group you are shooting, move the front sight towards the group that is too far left, and vice versa. As you are looking down the gun barrel, from back to front. In other words move the front sight TOWARD the group you are shooting. However, if you are shooting high and you want the shots to come down and have a height adjustable FRONT sight- such as on the SKS- you actually need to RAISE the front sight. Whereas you would push the rear sight to the right to get the shots to move left and raise the rear sight to bring UP the point of aim. I think you got it backwards.

Edit to respond to tsr1965: I know I've gone through this with some folks here before. And I too have been doing this for years now. Maybe not as many years as some but for about 20 anyhow. I have over 100 guns with open sights. I have shot them in high power competition about a dozen times a year for the past 10 of those years. I've never won first place but always rank in the top 50% and often in the top 10%. I DO KNOW what I am talking about. SO I AM going to draw this out for you. I suspect as always that there is a breakdown in communication here, so please let me know what the heck you think I am doing wrong. Please also excuse my drawing, I know I'm a crummy artist.

Scenario1.jpg

Scenario2.jpg

Final edit: As always after arguing this through thoroughly, I think I see our difference is a point of perception. I am looking at it from the point of view that I want the bullet flight path to line up with the sights. Assuming this won't be done in any one step but will take several adjustments, I think of it as moving the sights with regards to lining them up with the group I am actually shooting, which is quite easily accomplished with a bore laser.

You on the other hand are strictly thinking of where you want to shift POI overall with no regard to your current bullet path/line of sight issue.

In short we're both right, but it can take a genius or something to figure that out- so I'll leave the pics up for reference.

Beanstownshootah, those are quite clear diagrams. I particularly like the second one showing that after moving the sights, you are now aiming at your off center group, meaning the sights and bore are aligned. Very good visual, far better than my hand sketched one.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    briguy,

Always move the rear wsight in the direction you want the bullet to move. Move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to move.

Best
    Huh? What you say about the front sight is wrong for windage- if you want the bullet to go left, move the sight left, towards the group that is too far left, and vice versa. However, if you are shooting high and you want the shots to come down and have a height adjustable FRONT sight- such as on the SKS- you actually need to RAISE the front sight. Whereas you would push the rear sight to the right to get the shots to move left and raise the rear sight to bring UP the point of aim. I think you got it backwards.

Pal,

you need to sit down with a yardstick, and a couple paperclips and figure this out foryourself. Several folks and myself have tried to drum this to you. The way you are looking at them are * backwards...or perhaps you might be looking at it from the barrel end. Even then it would be backwards.

Best

EDIT 1

Jonk,

In your first post, you said what had about the windage for the front sight was wrong. IT IS NOT. No matter what, you want the front sight moved in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION you WANT the bullet to go...elevation or windage.

quote:Huh? What you say about the front sight is wrong for windage- if you want the bullet to go left, so that your sights are aligned with the group you are shooting, move the front sight towards the group that is too far left, and vice versa. As you are looking down the gun barrel, from back to front. In other words move the front sight TOWARD the group you are shooting. However, if you are shooting high and you want the shots to come down and have a height adjustable FRONT sight- such as on the SKS- you actually need to RAISE the front sight. Whereas you would push the rear sight to the right to get the shots to move left and raise the rear sight to bring UP the point of aim. I think you got it backwards

Now you are saying to move the front sight toward the offending group...make up your mind...you cannot have it both ways. Your statement to "push the rear sight to get the shots to move left" is definately still incorrect
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not going to get into a urination contest.

The mnemonic in question is FORS:

"Front Other, Rear Same".

To move your point of impact up, you RAISE your rear sight.

To move your point of impact up, you LOWER your front sight.

That's it. If you want more on this, see here:

Says Glock:
    sightadjustment.jpg

Says Wikimedia:
    quote:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Iron-sight

Adjusting an iron sight's point of impact

The general rule is the rear sight is moved in the SAME direction you wish to move the point of impact. In the illustration at right, the point of impact was LEFT and BELOW the target. To move the point of impact to the center, move the rear sight RIGHT and UP. The front sight moves the opposite direction, so it would move LEFT and DOWN.

300px-Iron_sight_adjustment.jpg
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing quite like a strong difference of opinion when the truth of the matter is so easily determined by anyone with a smoke pole and a set of sights. Why would moving the front sight up, lower the group but moving it left or right, do just the opposite? So many ways to see what's wrong with this picture.