In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 Magazine

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an older Colt 1911 Magazine. It is the "Tu-Tone" with lanyard loop. I know these were made up to the end of WWI. My question is that there are different stampings on it that I have not seen before. On top of the floor plate it is stamped "C MEXICO E". Can anyone tell me about it? I know there were around 5000 contract 45's that went to the Mexican military. Could this magazine come from one of those or is it possibly a knock off? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos.

That said the only magazines that I'm familiar with that has the marking of "Mexico" on the floor plate is the early Triple K produced ones. They defiantly didn't have the two tone finish that the early Colt mags came with though.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Pictures are a MUST please use Macro setting on camera and good light.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pictures of the magazine.398612738.jpg
    398612737.jpg
    398612739.jpg
    I hope this helps.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thank you for Trying to give us more information . Unfortunately the one of the Markings on the toe of the base plate is Not to the standard we need to be able to give you our opinion . The picture needs to be much closer and much more light we need to see each and every detail of these markings to include if the base was blued before or after the letters were stamped.also if the base plate is welded on the body or Pinned on the body ETC We need to see it the same if you were looking at it outside in bright day light from 6 inches away.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a early Mexican made Triple K. They have it listed in their most recent catalog as "Magazine No #600, Antique Copy, Two Tone Finish, with Lanyard Loop".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You rufe-snow. I figured it was something like that. I knew if it was a true Colt mag it would have had the 2 pin type construction. I sold an original pre-1917 "Tu-Tone", lanyard loop mag a few weeks ago for $100.00. I knew this one was not quite right because it did not have the 2 pin construction. Then I discovered the MEXICO stamp on it and that is when I started questioning it's origin.
    Thanks rufe-snow. Now I can list it for what it is.