In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Importation of "C&R" P.38

batesvilleboybatesvilleboy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently moved from Canada and I left some long-owned items behind which (from what I have read online) would be very difficult to import. In particular though, I'm wondering if it would be possible at all to import an AC42 P.38. I've had this gun for over 30 years and it's sitting with a friend up there now (registered in his name). I bought this gun for $125 back in '77 and due to lack of demand (buying and owning a handgun in Kanada is an extreme hassle), I doubt I could get more than $250 for it if I asked my buddy to sell it up there. The gun is in nice shape. I hate to give it away and leave it up there when I KNOW there are collectors here in the states that would really appreciate this gun. See here:
http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/kanatakid/P38/?albumview=slideshow
So my question is: is it worth even attempting to try to get the gun imported to an FFL? My wife BTW is a US citizen so the ownership by her is not an issue. If I recall correctly, the P38 falls into the C&R realm so it "may" be possible to import...?
Thanks in advance, trying to understand the plethora of federal regulations.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Gunbroker site has a special page listing FFL dealers specializing in importing firearms, at this link.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerInternational.aspx

Excellent photos by the way. The P 38 appears to be in super shape, hope it works out for you OK. Being your wife is a US citizen, it will probably have to be imported in her name.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Will [whomever does the importing] be required to place an import stamp on the firearm? Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excellent, many thanks for the link! I'll do some more reading and place a phone call to some of these folks. IF it's possible (and viable) to import, I will be more than likely putting the gun up here for sale.

Yes, it is a very nice piece and the serial number is cool. I read up on how the Germans recycled serial numbers so I understand it's no big deal, but still... '13e' looks cool. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by batesvilleboy
    Excellent, many thanks for the link! I'll do some more reading and place a phone call to some of these folks. IF it's possible (and viable) to import, I will be more than likely putting the gun up here for sale.

Yes, it is a very nice piece and the serial number is cool. I read up on how the Germans recycled serial numbers so I understand it's no big deal, but still... '13e' looks cool. [:)]

From your photos it appears that your AC 42, is the very desirable 1st variation. Noting this, the apparent excellent condition, and serial number, likely value would be north of $1000 even with the firearms market being in the toilet along with the rest of the economy, IMHO.

EDIT # 1, Being your wife is the U.S. citizen and it would be imported in her name. I would have her contact the dealers rather then you. If they find out that your not a citizen and are using her to bring it into the country. They would figure that it was a "STRAWMAN" ruse that the feds were trying to entrap them with. They wouldn't give you the time of day, and would have nothing to do with the deal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh my goodness, I almost fell out of my chair. Seriously. I know it's a nice piece but had no idea it's worth that much. I uploaded a couple more photos I had sitting on my hard drive, including markings on the inside of the grips, etc. Same URL.
    I had to leave behind some nice pieces including two beautiful 1911's (both 'US Property' marked), an IHC Garand, a Winchester M1 Carbine... as I understand these have zero chance of being "re-imported" thanks to current laws. But since the P.38 was not made in the US (again, from what I have gleaned on the net), it 'may' be possible to import it as a C&R. I'll certainly try my best to do so.
    Thanks again.
    edit as per your edit #1, yes all transactions will be by my wife and thanks for the tip. I have a few years yet before I can even take the citizenship test. (Which I will, as I shall not be returning to Kanada... but now I digress).
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe is correct; all firearms must be stamped with the name, city, & state of the importer. This mandatory mutilation would substantially reduce the value of your gun, especially since there are already many WW2 German guns in the US that were imported prior to 1968, when import marking began.

The last time I checked, importers were estimating that charges, fees, taxes, etc would cost in the $300-500 range for a single gun.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I wish everyone that asked about a Gun could get you to take the picture like you EXcellent. A real shame they are not in the US currently . Have you double checked to see that they were once yours and maybe a GRAND FATHER clause about importing into the U.S.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the help. I've grabbed some ATF docs from their website which I've gleaned over but I'll have to contact one of the import folks who make a living at this to try to make sense of it (almost like having to hire a lawyer!)

If indeed there have to be import marks put on the gun then obviously I won't bother importing it, I am not about to RUIN the gun by allowing that to happen. It'll just have to stay up in the great white north. [:(]

BTW thanks rufe and perry for the acolades on the pics, I actually took those several years back with a 2 megapixel Nikon, but it had a great macro feature on it. I also took some pics of my 1911A1 (which I reckon isn't even worth attempting to import) with the same camera at
    http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/kanatakid/M1911A1/?albumview=slideshow
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by batesvilleboy
    Thanks guys for the help. I've grabbed some ATF docs from their website which I've gleaned over but I'll have to contact one of the import folks who make a living at this to try to make sense of it (almost like having to hire a lawyer!)

If indeed there have to be import marks put on the gun then obviously I won't bother importing it, I am not about to RUIN the gun by allowing that to happen. It'll just have to stay up in the great white north. [:(]

BTW thanks rufe and perry for the acolades on the pics, I actually took those several years back with a 2 megapixel Nikon, but it had a great macro feature on it. I also took some pics of my 1911A1 (which I reckon isn't even worth attempting to import) with the same camera at
    http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/kanatakid/M1911A1/?albumview=slideshow

If it has to be marked by the importer, and it could be done so that the markings were as small and unobtrusive as possible. I still believe that it would be worth your while to bring it down from the great white north.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm hoping so as well. I'm going to email and call a few businesses this week to inquire about the possibility of importing the piece. Naturally C&R is a niche so it's difficult to find someone advertising this specialty (most advertise import/export of modern firearms which is a legal quagmire in it's own right) but I hope to get a lead or two.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Pictures of your 45 show that this pistol was most likely BUILT by old school Master Pistol smith The rear sight is from a S&W "one of the better adjustable sights in the early Days until Bomar and others took over as the Sights of choice in building match grade 1911 type pistols . The Numbers on the Barrel Bushing and Slide are DRAWING numbers on U.S. military Marksmanship CONTRACT match parts furnished to those teams to build guns also the ejection port is enlarged SOP for the day.I suspect the gun was built in the U.S. I will get dates for barrel & slide Drawning numbers. Send me a personal email with your address in case this post reaches 10 replies and gets locked. Perry Shooter