In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FN/FAL L1A1 basic question

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
In the world of these rifles, I read about "metric" versus "inch" units.....what is this referring to?

Is one type inherently better or more reliable or more desireable than the other?

Thanks.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It refers to the measurement system used to craft the rifle. The UK uses inch, everyone else in the world uses metric. Functions are the same, but for parts availability I went with metric.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    any time you have threaded screws and parts that these screws engage you have a choice of making these threads in metric or inch sizes. needless to say you can't mix with a screw that is metric going into a part that is inch. So when you buy parts or kots you need All on the same system. Better [?] I would suggest the quality of the parts are more important then what system they are made. YMMV
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    One of the mail differenced are the magazines. There are more metric ones around than inch. The inch pattern mags sell for more.
    It depends on the builder as to reliablity.
  • Options
    82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming I was looking to purchase one of these, for general shooting capabilities.....not for collectibility, competition of any sort....just to take to the range.

Specifically what qualities/specifications/would I look for in either inch/metric form?

Are there specific importers/builders/manufacturers I should seek out? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks!
    Mike
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of absolute nonsense on this thread.

"Inch" = British, Canadian, Aussie rifles, all built on the same pattern, a slightly different FAL pattern. Typically the Inch guns have open ear gas blocks, long flash hiders with a bayo lug at the bottom, folding rear sights and charging handles. Some other cosmetic differences. Most parts will not interchange with "Metric".

"Metric" = Belgian (where they were designed) Austrian, South African, Brazilian, Argentine. Closed eared front sights, a gas nut which is threaded to the gasblock as opposed to being retained by a round spring like Inch. Slightly less robust magazines.

They perform nearly identically, but appear different.

The idea that the screws are different are UTTERLY false. There ain't a damn screw on a "metric" gun that's metric. The bbl is 1"x16tpi for both, the cross screw that holds in the mag release is 10-32, the rear sight adjusting screws are 8-32, the nut that holds the metric pistol grip on is 1/4x28, the muzzle thread is 9/16x24LH while the "Inch" is 9/16x24.

The Indian (knock off of Brit) and Israeli are their own animal. The Israeli has the only metric thread on any FAL. The bbl thread into the receiver. Which is close enough that a 1x16tpi die can be used to chase the threads and use the Israeli barrels in available FAL receiver to build Israeli FAL clones on.

Glad I could help.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On top of what has been said, you can do a lot of mixing and matching. Just look at the stuff Century puts out.

That said, as an end user, the big difference is ergonomics (I like the metric pg better), some manual operations (bolt hold open on metric vs non on inch although it can be added, adjusting gas for the first time, etc), and what magazines work. Most metric mags will work in an inch gun, but they will be wobbly. Metric guns cannot use inch mags.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 82trooper
    Assuming I was looking to purchase one of these, for general shooting capabilities.....not for collectibility, competition of any sort....just to take to the range.

Specifically what qualities/specifications/would I look for in either inch/metric form?

Are there specific importers/builders/manufacturers I should seek out? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks!
    Mike

Avoid Hesse, Williams (aluminum, known to kaboom), and Century.

If you go metric and need/want a 30rnd mag, DSA makes them. As does member moses on the falfiles forums. And, there is a group buy going on for new production 22 conversion kits on the falfiles as well.