In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 Cal MADE IN GERMANY

trolleytrouttrolleytrout Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE WHAT APPEARS TO BE AN 8 SHOT RIM FIRE 22 CAL. PISTOL. IT HAS AN OCTAGON 2 _" BARREL, WOODEN GRIPS, HAS A SLANTED HOLE ON TOP OF THE BARREL ABOUT ?" UP. ONLY MARKS IS "MADE IN GERMANY". ANY INFORMATION ON AGE AND VALUE?
THANKS
GREG

mg0001.JPG

mg0002.JPG

mg0003.JPG

mg0004.JPG

Comments

• Options
    StackStack Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your pistol is a starter, or blank, pistol and may have been manufactured by Bernhard Paatz of Zella-Mehlis, Germany prior to WWII. Are you certain it is 8 shots? The cylinder doesn't appear to have 8 locking slots.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes the cylinder has 8 stops
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's very unusual, notwithstanding the "Made In Germany" marking. That it doesn't have German proof marks.

Unless it dates to the early 1890's, which is supported by the frame made without a top strap. The open top strap type revolvers were a older design, that was faulty and fragile and fell out of use by the 1880's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So does this mean I can sell it without using an FFL?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It can be sold without an FFL providing the barrel hasn't been bored through to allow firing of bulleted cartridges.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, now I'm really confused. This must NOT be a Starter Pistol. Its bored all the way through. It must be a .22 cal. Pistol. Now again I'm looking for information as to the age. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trolleytrout
    Well, now I'm really confused. This must NOT be a Starter Pistol. Its bored all the way through. It must be a .22 cal. Pistol. Now again I'm looking for information as to the age. Any other ideas?

It is a blank pistol, as Stack states. Are you certain it doesn't just have a shallow hole at muzzle? See the 2nd gun shown here, which he states has only a 3mm fake bore:

http://www.littlegun.info/arme allemande/artisan o p q r/a paatz gb.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The hole (a little off center of the barrel) goes all the way through to the back of the cylinder.
    hl.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The "slanted hole" on the top of the barrel is where the gases from blank cartridges vent and, usually, indicates the barrel beyond the "slanted hole" is solid, having no bore. Why have the "slanted hole" and a bored out barrel to vent the blank cartridge gases? If the revolver, originally a starter pistol, is capable of chambering .22 caliber bulleted cartridges, firing can result in injury, or worse.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trolleytrout

Some shade tree gun butcher in the long distant past screwed with it. Since it's very unlikely that he bothered rifling the hole he drilled in the barrel, it's now a NFA weapon, i.e. handgun with a unrifled barrel. Do yourself a favor, get rid of it before it causes you more grief then it's worth.