In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Decision Help for My Colt Custom Shop SAA Order

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello Folks:

I had a 3rd Generation 4 3/4 blue SAA in 45, but never really got to shoot it enough to know if I liked the caliber. I was offered more than I paid for it and let it go like a fool last year.

Now I have an opportunity to order one from the Colt Custom Shop, and I'm like a kid at a toy store having to narrow my choices down. This gun is to be a keeper to be enjoyed and handed down. I plan to shoot it, and possibly get into some SASS competitions. I'm also an old reloader. I want a 4 3/4 nickel gun with the Fire Blue Package, but here's whrere I'm stuck:

[?]44/40 or 45 Colt (accuracy, power, value?)- HELP!!
[?]Buffalo grips vs Eagles - REALLY Worth it?? - I don't want to end up with a brown set
[?]2 line or 1 line address @ $0 - What's the REAL difference?
[?]Bulls Eye Ejector Head vs Standard - Preferences??
[?]Model "P" Single Action Tune - Worth it??

Please excuse my ignorance on much of this as I am still relatively new to the SAA. I just want to make informed choices. I welcome ANY information you can provide as far as PROS and CONS with the information I have provided.

I'm going to go with the "votes" here as I've been struggling for days.

Thank you in advance
Jamie

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello #1 45 colt if you buy ammo 45 colt if you reload 44/40 is harder to reload and harder to find factory ammo
    #2 get grips that are cheap and then get NUTMEG sports to fit Real Ivory
    #3 Two line address is correct for Short Barrel . It will never be questioned as a CUT DOWN longer barrel with one line address standard.
    #4Standard Ejector head This will never look like an early Black powder pistol so don't mismatch dates of one part with another.
    #5 TUNE I hate the fact you buy a Custom pistol and then they have the BALLS to say we will put a good trigger on your custom built pistol but you have to pay extra. Tell Colt you have a gun smith that can do a better trigger job then they can . Don't tell them this in words they make take it out on you with a lousey job on entire pistol. Just do it by action and not fall for their way of taking more of your money .
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what choice Colt gives you on grips. Any of the exotic woods WITH COLT MEDALLIONS would look great, but even the faux MOP or ivory WITH COLT MEDALLIONS would be good.

Resale will be substantially higher with genuine Colt grips. With any aftermarket grips, you will have to add $150-200 shipping if you have to send the gun somewhere.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    #4 Standard Ejector head This will never look like an early Black powder pistol so don't mismatch dates of one part with another.
    #5 TUNE I hate the fact you buy a Custom pistol and then they have the BALLS to say we will put a good trigger on your custom built pistol but you have to pay extra. Tell Colt you have a gun smith that can do a better trigger job then they can . Don't tell them this in words they make take it out on you with a lousey job on entire pistol. Just do it by action and not fall for their way of taking more of your money .

I just like the look better. Did this ONLY come with BPF guns? I think it was offered in smokeless for a while as well????? Not sure.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 (And I HAVE a .44-40)
    Even a good grade of fake ivory would be nice.
    P says two line is correct
    Standard, I don't see how the bullseye fails to hang on the holster.
    Factory trigger job might not be a superfine pull but a lot simpler and less expensive than sending it out.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    keep it traditional as in a 2nd gen. model, blued with Eagle grips, if you plan on having it your family for many, many generations it will be more valuable, not in $$$$$$ but what Great, Great, Great Grandpa thought about originality...., just my OPINION of course.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know why some folks say that the 44-40(40 WCF) is hard to load. I started loading the 44-40 as the first metalic cartridge I ever loaded. I had heard all the horror stories and figured out real quick none of them were true. The 44-40 isn't any easier or harder tomload than any other big bore pistol cartridge. Plus it is a slightly bottle neck case and will not dirty up your brass as bad as them.45 LC.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Anything you have done outside of the Colt factory will affect its collector value. Perry is correct about the address.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Anything you have done outside of the Colt factory will affect its collector value. Perry is correct about the address.

I completely agree here, and this is my main consideration for ordering the grips from the factory. I believe the work is farmed out anyway, but unless it's in the original COLT order, it ain't original.

With originality in mind, a custom order with the Bullseye ejector as a factory option is STILL original, even if it is only to a 3rd Generation. I realize no one can say for certain, but would this negatively or positively effect collctor value. Check out the pics on GB Auction Item #: 253443127
    TB1.jpg
    TB2.jpg
    While I realize this is a little bit of an Apples to Oranges comparison, I just wanted you to see the "look"[:D]
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    all good advice already, but my feeling is,that if you're going to have a custom order, go for the gusto!!
    this is a pair of custom shop guns in 38spl with real colt ivory (contracted to nutmeg from the factory) and bullseye ejectors.
    the next set will be in .45.
    most folks probably won't order a LOT of custom shop guns, so make each order special.
    jmho
    tom
    btw, you can save $300 if you get the one pc ivories after the fact from nutmeg and you'll still have the factory original grips (eagles).
    and you only have to send the grip frame to nutmeg.

EDIT#1 tell colt you want the screws indexed. &60 last i checked and looks great, especially with fire (nitre) blue

dsc0039n.jpg
  • Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    45 Colt
    2 line
    Bulls eye
    Nutmeg Ivory
    Nutmeg action job
    Nutmeg engraving