In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 12 question

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi, experts. My question is this; what is the significance of a serial number on a Model 12 with the capitol letter W beneath the serial number? I've seen this on some but not all Model 12s. Thanks Jim

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The one I have is serial number 29,XXX. I was wondering what year it was made? Also it has the Cutts compensator system on the barrel, were they a factory add-on or was it done by a gunsmith at a later time? Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun in 16 gauge. The SN tells me that it was built in 1919. It has a short 24-25 inch no rib barrel and the serial # matches on the barrel and receiver. Does anyone know anything about these short barreled versions. All of the other info is easy to come by but not barrel variations.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did Winchester manufacture a Winchester Model 12 with a solid rib and just "Nickel Steel" "12" "FULL" stamped on the barrel? The words Winchester does not appear. GB #154496481 has a barrel assembly for auction. Looks like a Model 12 assembly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did anybody ever make a pistol grip for a model 12 Winchester pump shotgun ? If so,are they still made and who sells them ?

EvilDr235
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THE STOCK BOLT-UP SYSTEM USED ON A M-12 WOULD MAKE THIS DIFFICULT AT BEST.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If you list that ribbed shotgun barrel you are about to cut, I will pay you more for it than you paid for the entire gun. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have not cut it yet.I am still carefuly cleaning it.I may just take it to a gun show and see what I can swap it for.I want a pump gun for protection,but I would not mind owning another revolver.I am also gonna be on the look out a shorter model 12 barrel.I am also looking for a stock i can shorten to put a recoil pad on it.I will not cut it anytime in the near future.I will keep your offer in mind.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    oakridgeoakridge Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I mis-understanding your question? I thought all Model 12's have a pistol grip stock. Or, are you talking about some kind of after-market
    gadget that attaches to the stock?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oakridge
    Am I mis-understanding your question? I thought all Model 12's have a pistol grip stock. Or, are you talking about some kind of after-market

The Trap Gun variation was made predominately with an English style straight grip butt stock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by oakridge

The Trap Gun variation was made predominately with an English style straight grip butt stock.

I have rarely seen the english stock model 12, they just arent out there anymore for sale. He certainly isnt saying he is going to cut the barrel off of a trap grade 12 with an english grip and a solid rib???????[:(][xx(][:(][xx(][:(][xx(][:(][xx(]

Maybe evildr will tell us what he really has....[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aftermarket pistol grip that replaces wood shotgun stock.I need something that is short and punches big holes in things.I don't hunt anymore,but where we go target shootings there is black bears and cougars at times.I hate to chop up this model 12,but I can't afford to buy a factory short shotgun.I have all winter to make up my mind on what to do with it.Are model 12s getting that rare that I should leave it alone ? The rib on this one is 5/16 of a inch wide.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    Aftermarket pistol grip that replaces wood shotgun stock.I need something that is short and punches big holes in things.I don't hunt anymore,but where we go target shootings there is black bears and cougars at times.I hate to chop up this model 12,but I can't afford to buy a factory short shotgun.I have all winter to make up my mind on what to do with it.Are model 12s getting that rare that I should leave it alone ? The rib on this one is 5/16 of a inch wide.

EvilDr235
    If you have all winter, take your time and figure out what you have it could be worth many times what you paid. A trap grade 12 with solid rib and english grip is a prize valued by 12 collectors everywhere. If this is truly what you have, please dont mess with it. Sell it and get the bear killer you want.
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a very nice M 12 plane barrel that has been cut and reblued that we might work out a deal on
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A flying Model 12?