In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thompson Drum Magazine?

KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
I came across this item today. It seems to hold 35 rounds of .45 cal ammo. The only marking I can find is the Thompson Trademark. Is this drum original or reproduction? Any value at all? Manufacture?
DSC_0007-2.jpg
DSC_0011-1.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg

Comments

• Options
    marc2564marc2564 Member Posts: 169 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Numrich made 39 round drums sometime back
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks exactly like the drum that is with my Thompson, serial number VERY low 700s, manufactured in 1976.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Yours is 'Aftermarket'. By that I mean, the original 'L' drums held 50 rds, and there are subtle differences between the originals and what you have depicted. See below.

Front View
    ThompsonDrumFront.jpg

Detail of Front
    ThompsonDrumDetail.jpg

Rear View. Notice the clip..
    ThompsonDrumBack.jpg

Interior
    ThompsonDrumInterior.jpg
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I just sold my 39rd. Auto Ordnance made drum here about two months ago. Look at auction #244838302 and see if yours is marked the same.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Thompson trademark inside a bullet is the same. There are no other marks of any kind on mine. I'll try to get it listed on the auction today.
  • Options
    StackStack Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Numrich Arms 39 round type XL drums were reportedly made by altering drums manufactured for a blank firing Japanese replica Thompson SMG, and then adding AUTO-ORDNANCE CORPORATION, WEST HURLEY, NEW YORK, USA, in two lines, to the front of the drum. Numrich marketed these type XL drums from 1975 until about 1987, just prior to the introduction of their 50 round type L drum. Because of the lack of markings, it might be possible that this drum is one of the Japanese blank firing drums not acquired, or altered, by Numrich Arms.
  • Options
    xtriggermanxtriggerman Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Stack
    Numrich Arms 39 round type XL drums were reportedly made by altering drums manufactured for a blank firing Japanese replica Thompson SMG, and then adding AUTO-ORDNANCE CORPORATION, WEST HURLEY, NEW YORK, USA, in two lines, to the front of the drum. Numrich marketed these type XL drums from 1975 until about 1987, just prior to the introduction of their 50 round type L drum. Because of the lack of markings, it might be possible that this drum is one of the Japanese blank firing drums not acquired, or altered, by Numrich Arms.

Stack is correct. I worked at AO 81-83 and those were infact Japanese made for non firing replica guns.