In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 Blued Un-Fluted

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
After more research on this fine work of art in the Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 Blued Un-Fluted, I cant wait to get one and realized that it (has a slightly larger frame than the shorter barreled versions) so would have its own grips...
And it also has the old styled trigger guard unlike the shorter barreled versions that are both a must for me and that not even the Ruger old/original style Vaquero has this so its off my list...

The only real deal changer here for me is the 7.5in barrel as opposed to the 5.5in barrel, however the Un-fluted cylinder and old styled trigger guard are not options for the 5.5in...
So should the 2in difference effect anything, carry, draw, being a hunting sidearm and woods gun etc, should I really notice it, imho without trying it yet I will say no, however I have not carried a pistol/revolver over 5.5in?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Juggernaut,

Having owned a Ruger SBH(past tense), with that old style Dragoon trigger gard, and hard recoil, do not mix well, with big mitts. They are very bitey, on the middle finger. Just saying, so you can go feel one, if possible, to see what I mean.

As for the barrel length, from previous experience, I am sure you are aware that, the shorter the barrel, the faster into service, and the more available carry options. That said, if you are going with the 7.5 inch, you will pick up some sight radius, that can help aging eyes align the sights better. There is also a "Hunter" model, that has a ribbed barrel, and comes with scope rings, so it can ad some versatility to it.

One more option you have with the "Hunter" Model, is they also made a few of them in 41 Magnum. The Hunter Models, do not have the Dragoon Trigger gaurd. They are few and far between, and if I am not mistaken( I check about every day-firearms-pistols-revolvers-search 41 magnum), there a couple on the auction side. I just got a 44 Magnum SBH Hunter a few months ago, and am looking to add the 41 Magnum. A couple years ago, I picked up a 7.5 inch stainless Redhawk, with scope rings in 41 Magnum. The Redhawk was used and in excellent condition, the SBH Hunter 44 was new. The Redhawk wears Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 handgun scope, and the 44 SBH Hunter a 2-7 Burris. They are both great shooter's. I love the 41 Magnum's. They are hard to find, so look and buy soon if you want one.

If you want to talk more, e-mail me.

Best

EDIT 1
    quote:Not sure why but some people seem to think that the Ruger BH, SBH, RH and SRH either can't or shouldn't fire +P/hotloaded type ammunition like Garrett, Corbon, BuffaloBore, Double Tap, RBCD, etc for fear of loosening up the mechanism of the revolver or worse to failure, huh?
    Hmm, that is news to me iinm the Ruger line of revolvers were basically designed like tanks to be able to fire +P so long as its within the CUP of the design and such.
    Myself and many others that I know of shoot nothing but +P/hotloaded type ammunition through the Ruger revolvers (although not as a test to failure or anything) and have not experienced any problems whatsoever nor any signs of problems and function and lockup are just fine...

The Ruger's are indeed built like tanks, and are capable of th +P+(yes, some of them are above +P) loads you are talking about, and even plus some. I carry them, when I am in the woods working, and/or stream fishing for the abundant NATIVE Brook Trout I have on my Northern, NY ponderosa. For actual HUNTING though, I tune them down a little bit for better controlability, and accuracy, as there is a lot that goes on after ignition, that can, and does effect accuracy...from experimentation. Part of the reason I do down load for hunting, and further down load even more, for plinking, and target shooting, is that I am not the only one who might use these handguns. Several of my friends, who are not as experienced might grab one to take to the stand, where shots that might be encountered might no further than 50-60 yards. Those friends that want to add one to their bucket list, of having harvested a deer with a handgun. For the target shooting, and training part, we do have some up and coming youngster's, down to the age of 12, who under our supervision are being to taught to shoot handguns. Nothing like the look on a youngster's face when they drill one in the bullseye, at 50 yards from a big bore handgun, that many expert's would say no, they would never be able to do that. I take a lot of pride in my handgun abilities, but am not scared to admit, it is my strong belief, that these youngster's will be surpassing my abilities, in their young adulthood. It's absolutely great, with that 41 magnum RH, with 215 Hardcast bullets running around 1000 FPS. It goes boom, with not a lot of recoil, and gives thim little fella's some braggin' rights.

While, with top end loads, I feel comfortable with a big bore revolver out to 150 yards or so, being able to place the bullet squarely in the vitals. However, as mentioned before, since I am not the only user, I download the big revolver's. If I am in the situation where I need more than 100 yards from a handgun, I grab my Encore in 308 Winchester. I have a Burris 3-12x handgun scope on that, and feel comfortable out to 300 yards. I shoot the Barnes 130 grain TTSX bullets in that, and they are leaving around 3000 FPS.

So, in all, I am not just in it for myself, but get a big joy teaching other's too. Most of the time they are best taught gently, without a lot of noise and recoil, if it can be helped.

Hope this helps explain.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Juggernaut,
    Having owned a Ruger SBH(past tense), with that old style Dragoon trigger gard, and hard recoil, do not mix well, with big mitts. They are very bitey, on the middle finger. Just saying, so you can go feel one, if possible, to see what I mean.
    As for the barrel length, from previous experience, I am sure you are aware that, the shorter the barrel, the faster into service, and the more available carry options. That said, if you are going with the 7.5 inch, you will pick up some sight radius, that can help aging eyes align the sights better. There is also a "Hunter" model, that has a ribbed barrel, and comes with scope rings, so it can ad some versatility to it.
    One more option you have with the "Hunter" Model, is they also made a few of them in 41 Magnum. The Hunter Models, do not have the Dragoon Trigger gaurd. They are few and far between, and if I am not mistaken( I check about every day-firearms-pistols-revolvers-search 41 magnum), there a couple on the auction side. I just got a 44 Magnum SBH Hunter a few months ago, and am looking to add the 41 Magnum. A couple years ago, I picked up a 7.5 inch stainless Redhawk, with scope rings in 41 Magnum. The Redhawk was used and in excellent condition, the SBH Hunter 44 was new. The Redhawk wears Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 handgun scope, and the 44 SBH Hunter a 2-7 Burris. They are both great shooter's. I love the 41 Magnum's. They are hard to find, so look and buy soon if you want one.
    If you want to talk more, e-mail me. Best

Could have it converted to 5.5in which shouldn't be a problem and would be a good balance then. Other than that I have large hands and have fired some similar firearms with no problem so should be okay there but will keep it in mind.
    That design is just perfect and is exactly what I am looking for in a nostalgic looking revolver that is built like a tank and can handle just about anything.

Not sure why but some people seem to think that the Ruger BH, SBH, RH and SRH either can't or shouldn't fire +P/hotloaded type ammunition like Garrett, Corbon, BuffaloBore, Double Tap, RBCD, etc for fear of loosening up the mechanism of the revolver or worse to failure, huh?
    Hmm, that is news to me iinm the Ruger line of revolvers were basically designed like tanks to be able to fire +P so long as its within the CUP of the design and such.
    Myself and many others that I know of shoot nothing but +P/hotloaded type ammunition through the Ruger revolvers (although not as a test to failure or anything) and have not experienced any problems whatsoever nor any signs of problems and function and lockup are just fine...

Regards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    EDIT 1The Ruger's are indeed built like tanks, and are capable of th +P+(yes, some of them are above +P) loads you are talking about, and even plus some. I carry them, when I am in the woods working, and/or stream fishing for the abundant NATIVE Brook Trout I have on my Northern, NY ponderosa. For actual HUNTING though, I tune them down a little bit for better controlability, and accuracy, as there is a lot that goes on after ignition, that can, and does effect accuracy...from experimentation. Part of the reason I do down load for hunting, and further down load even more, for plinking, and target shooting, is that I am not the only one who might use these handguns. Several of my friends, who are not as experienced might grab one to take to the stand, where shots that might be encountered might no further than 50-60 yards. Those friends that want to add one to their bucket list, of having harvested a deer with a handgun. For the target shooting, and training part, we do have some up and coming youngster's, down to the age of 12, who under our supervision are being to taught to shoot handguns. Nothing like the look on a youngster's face when they drill one in the bullseye, at 50 yards from a big bore handgun, that many expert's would say no, they would never be able to do that. I take a lot of pride in my handgun abilities, but am not scared to admit, it is my strong belief, that these youngster's will be surpassing my abilities, in their young adulthood. It's absolutely great, with that 41 magnum RH, with 215 Hardcast bullets running around 1000 FPS. It goes boom, with not a lot of recoil, and gives thim little fella's some braggin' rights.
    While, with top end loads, I feel comfortable with a big bore revolver out to 150 yards or so, being able to place the bullet squarely in the vitals. However, as mentioned before, since I am not the only user, I download the big revolver's. If I am in the situation where I need more than 100 yards from a handgun, I grab my Encore in 308 Winchester. I have a Burris 3-12x handgun scope on that, and feel comfortable out to 300 yards. I shoot the Barnes 130 grain TTSX bullets in that, and they are leaving around 3000 FPS.
    So, in all, I am not just in it for myself, but get a big joy teaching other's too. Most of the time they are best taught gently, without a lot of noise and recoil, if it can be helped.
    Hope this helps explain. Best

That is good, same here however I teach from a military standpoint, but basically the same points are expressed...Concerning the Ruger revolvers and +P/hotloaded type ammunition that was my sentiment as well...

Regards
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    juggernaut the grip panels will interchange between a 7.5" and any other Super Blackhawk. If you want a Dragoon grip frame on a 5.5" you can do that..heck you can even put a Bisley grip frame on. Unfluted cylinders are no prib either. Either buy one off of GB or have someone like Hamilton Bowen make you one.

As to people telling you a Super Blackhawk or regular Blackhawk can't handle +p or +p+ loads well thats just nonsense. A steady diet if it will be harder in your joints and hands than on these revolvers. For hunting you will have no trouble with either barrel length but the shorter barrel is easier to pack.

I have 2 Blackhawks..one wears a 4 5/8" the other a 6 1/2" and it makes no difference to me as I use a good holster & belt.

This is my current favorite woods gun. A Lipseys exclusive Flattop Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Special. Built on a .357 sized frame it's a joy to carry & shoot. With the right constructed bullet there isn't an animal anywhere in WA that couldn't be taken with it.

Picture038.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    juggernaut the grip panels will interchange between a 7.5" and any other Super Blackhawk. If you want a Dragoon grip frame on a 5.5" you can do that..heck you can even put a Bisley grip frame on. Unfluted cylinders are no prib either. Either buy one off of GB or have someone like Hamilton Bowen make you one.
    As to people telling you a Super Blackhawk or regular Blackhawk can't handle +p or +p+ loads well thats just nonsense. A steady diet if it will be harder in your joints and hands than on these revolvers. For hunting you will have no trouble with either barrel length but the shorter barrel is easier to pack.
    I have 2 Blackhawks..one wears a 4 5/8" the other a 6 1/2" and it makes no difference to me as I use a good holster & belt.
    This is my current favorite woods gun. A Lipseys exclusive Flattop Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Special. Built on a .357 sized frame it's a joy to carry & shoot. With the right constructed bullet there isn't an animal anywhere in WA that couldn't be taken with it.
    Picture038.jpg

Alright thanks...Nice setup there, like the iron shackles look too.
    Concerning the +P in Ruger revolvers I agree 100%, not sure why some believe that you cant use +P in Ruger revolvers, but there is alot of misinformation and opinions unfortunately, but that's why Ruger's were designed like a tank if they hadn't noticed other revolvers are not designed in that same manner.
    I will try out the 7.5in barrel on the Ruger SBH for a while and may cut it to 5.5in later, or could just get 2.:)

Regards
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want more in depth info, go to rugerforum and you'll get all you can handle(grip wise, that is).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If you want more in depth info, go to rugerforum and you'll get all you can handle(grip wise, that is).
    Yeah its not bad and has some good info there.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Juggernaut,

A while back you were looking for fixed sights, or fixed sights that could be somewhat adjusted for impact, that were low profile.

Check this out, if you have not already.

http://dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

Best