In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT POLICE POSTIVE SPEC.

SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have picked up a Colt Police Postive Special, blued in excellent
condtion. .38 Special caliber. Serial # 6542xx. Can anyone tell me year of manufacture? A ballpark figure of value? Thanks, T.B.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proofhouse.com says 1954
    It is obviously worth whatever you paid for it, unless you "picked it up" other than by purchase.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel length has a great baring in value of the older Colt revolvers. Pretty much since the advent of the hi-cap 9mm pistols, six shot long barrel revolvers aren't that much in demand. The 2" which are the Detective Specials always have had a following and are easy sales if factory original and excellent condition.

The longer barrels unfortunately not so much. Sight unseen my WAG if factory original and excellent condition, your looking at $250-$350.

You might check the various on-line auctions. These Colts were made in quantity over quite a number of years. Some are always on the auctions. See what they are going for to get a ballpark value for yours.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love those old Colts revolvers I wish I could buy it from you.[:(]
  • Options
    SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edharold: In my collection, I have 2 Colt New Service revolvers. 1938 and 1939. .45 long colt caliber. Both nickeled from the factory. Only 5% made that way. I put some fake ivory grips on them and work my gun show table. Would not believe the offers I get. Blue Book says about $ 2600 each.