In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1890 with Browning Bros markings

austinsgunsaustinsguns Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a 2nd model winchester model 1890 with very small text that reads "Brownging Bros Co ogden utah" It is on the top flat of the barrel between the cal stamp and the rear sight. What is the story on this?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Brownings ran a retail sporting goods store while John was designing guns. They bought stock for the store and sometimes he would even take payment for his designs in merchandise like rifles and the non-gun Winchester products of the day. So they put the store name on it.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it is marked "Utah"? All of the authentic Browning marked Winchesters I have seen (and I own three of them) are either marked "BROWNING BROS, OGDEN, U.T." or "BROWNING BROS, OGDEN, U."

If the marking is found between the address stamp and the rear sight on the top of the barrel, it was a patent payment gun that was shipped directly to the Browning brothers shop for them to sell. If the marking is between the rear sight and the frame ring, it was a gun that went through the shop for other reasons.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Winchester Model 1890 is based on a John M. and Matthew S. Browning's patent that Winchester purchased from them in 1888. Some Winchesters were sent to his company for sale hence his company marking.
    What's next?
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Are you sure it is marked "Utah"? All of the authentic Browning marked Winchesters I have seen (and I own three of them) are either marked "BROWNING BROS, ODGEN, U.T." or "BROWNING BROS, ODGEN, U."

If the marking is found between the address stamp and the rear sight on the top of the barrel, it was a patent payment gun that was shipped directly to the Browning brothers shop for them to sell. If the marking is between the rear sight and the frame ring, it was a gun that went through the shop for other reasons.
    Are you saying they misspelled Ogden? I saw a photo of the Browning shop with the brothers standing out front and the sign over there head was misspelled.
    Ammunition !
    photo-9.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry Burt It spells:
    "BROWNING BROS. OGDEN, U."
    It is very small text. It is located between the rear sight and receiver. Does this increase the value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Are you sure it is marked "Utah"? All of the authentic Browning marked Winchesters I have seen (and I own three of them) are either marked "BROWNING BROS, ODGEN, U.T." or "BROWNING BROS, ODGEN, U."

Are you saying they misspelled Ogden? I saw a photo of the Browning shop with the brothers standing out front and the sign over there head was misspelled.
    Ammunition !
    photo-9.png

No... I mistyped it[:I] It is "OGDEN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snapcrackle
    Sorry Burt It spells:
    "BROWNING BROS. ODGEN, U."
    It is very small text. It is located between the rear sight and receiver. Does this increase the value?

That marking tells us that it went through their shop after 1896. Yes, it does add a small premium to the value.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

Ammunition !
    photo-9.png

to small of sign--they look at each other and say you dumdazz--we can't put all the letters in the small sign,,,,ok just leave out an M =Problem solved,thinking out of the box 140 years ago.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the insight. Will be a nice addition to my slide action collection.