In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 Classic 257 Roberts

Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if the receiver used was the long action or short action. The reason for the question is to determine if I can reload ammunition to an OAL that exceeds the 2.8 inches magazine that the short action limits this cartridge to. I know that if I can use an OAL close to 3.0 inches, I can seat the 117 and 120 grain bullets further forward and get more case capacity for powder. Using a slower burning powder like 4831 can get me up to 25-06 performance out of the 257 Roberts.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington 722 in .257 was a short action--I don't know if the Custom Classic 700 is a short action but I'm guessing it is. I have a Browning A-bolt that has a 2.80" magazine. With cartridges loaded to the 2.80" length and with H4831 powder and 120 Speer spt. or 120 Sierra HPBT, I get 2840 fps over my chronograph screens. I get about 100 fps more from my .25/06's.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some measuring may be in order.
    Some Winchester 70 "short actions are actually long actions with a magazine box spacer and shortened follower.
    Remington may have used the same method. If so, a simple mod can allow longer OAL ammo.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is short you might want to take a look at a Ruger Hawkeye. Definitely long in the Bob. Mine is one of the most accurate and nicely built Rugers I've come across in a long time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ambrose:

What is your H4831 load for the 120 grain bullets?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The easy way to do this, is to use a dummy case, and seat the bullet to the lands, then set back about 0.020". See if that cartridge will fit and function in your magazine. If not, then, seat it deeper, untill it will fit and function. This would be the MAXIMUM COAL for YOUR rifle. Then it requires no need to know what action length it is.

I will say to be careful hot rodding the BOB round. Some casings are +P, and some are not. The Bob was not meant to be a 25-06, and trying to turn it into one could have unwanted results.

Best
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Manoa-Fisherman,

The Remington Classic in .257 Roberts was a short action. Remington did not try to use Winchester's idea of a long action with spacers at all.

If you want extra room for seating bullets out, try the Wyatt's Outdoor Products:

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/35

You could also switch to Detachable Box Magazine feeding and get an even longer OAL but it will require that you modify the stock.

Realize that in the world of Bob, this little increase will not result in anything significant as far as velocity is concerned. The Bob will kill nearly anything on this continent with the proper bullet and proper placement.

Best.

quote:Later, may be I will find an old mauser...

This can be a very nice solution to the magazine length discussions since many of the military Mausers used the 3.228" magazine length. This will allow for virtually any bullet design your heart desires with room to spare. Besides, everyone needs a classic Mauser in .257 Roberts (or AI).

Best.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with nononsense, any velocity increase with the .257 Roberts Three Inch* or even the 3.3"** is more due to loading to higher pressure than to the small increase in working volume. A .257 at .25-06 velocity is HOT no matter how long you load it.

*The Three Inch was originally produced by putting a .30-06 magazine follower and bolt stop in a Model 70.

**The Roberts 3.3" called for reaming the chamber throat to accept a 117 gr spitzer seated with the base of the bullet at or above the base of the case neck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense and TSR:
    Thank you for your expertise, again. Looking at the situation, I will leave well enough alone. I will limit myself to 100 gr bullets to keep me from making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Later, may be I will find an old mauser or remington action to make a longer OAL 257 rifle. As I get older, I find I don't have the time to play with the toys I have any way.

Again, thanks for all you advice and suggestions, they are very much appreciated.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Manoa-Fisherman
    Nononsense and TSR:
    Thank you for your expertise, again. Looking at the situation, I will leave well enough alone. I will limit myself to 100 gr bullets to keep me from making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Later, may be I will find an old mauser or remington action to make a longer OAL 257 rifle. As I get older, I find I don't have the time to play with the toys I have any way.

Again, thanks for all you advice and suggestions, they are very much appreciated.

If you do go that route, go with the Improved Bob chamber. It will do exactly what your looking for.

In the meantime, if you want a serious deer thumper, and will work for Elk too, give the Barnes TSX, and TTSX bullets a spin. If you get good accuracy, their performance is absolutely nothing short of amazing. Especially in the lighter caliber's.

Best
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1950 in 257 Roberts.
    The reload I use is
    1) R-P cases trimmed, primer pockets reamed, and flash holes deburred
    2) Nosler 115 grain Ballistic Tip (seat half way then turn case 180 degrees then seat all the way)
    3) 45-46 grains H4831SC (settled on 45 grains H4831SC)
    4) Federal 210M primer
    5) OCL 3.090 inches with half turn crimp using Lee crimper

The cartridge looks really long compared to the factory cartridges where the bullet barely pokes out of the neck. I always thought
    that was because they had to work through a Rem 722 short action box magazine.

The second 257 Roberts I had was a new stainless Rem 700 with a classic stock. Never did reload for that one. One look at the rifling and chamber and I shipped it back to Remington. The rifling had reamer chatter (or some kind of tool marks like rings) from one end to the other and the chamber was gouged out in places. Remington sent me a 700 LSS in 7mm/08 as a replacement.

The third 257 Roberts is a custom Ruger 77 II all weather with a long action and Shilen Select Match barrel. The load parameters are the same as above for the 1950 MS except
    3) 41.5 grain IMR 4350
    5) OCL 2.900 inches with a half turn crimp using the Lee crimper

The Ruger 77 is just a little bit more accurate than the 1950 MS.