In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mdl 94 in 32 Winchester?

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Were many made? My neighbor has one and wants to get some ammo for it; IIRC that gun in that caliber is sort of rare, yes, no?

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a '94 in .32 Special. Near as I've been able to figure there are some variants that are rare but that distinction isn't in the caliber but in other differences. They tell me that my saddle ring carbine is common and not worth more than a similar 30-30.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It brings no premium over .30-30 all other factors being equal.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    any good sporting good shop should have it..
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 94 in 32 W.S. is quite common. Only the 30-30 is more common. In my ongoing research survey, 28% of all Model 94s made in the 1,000,000 - 2,600,000 serial range are caliber 32 W.S. (for those that are math impaired, that is 448,000)[;)].
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I've read that when introduced the 32Spl was supposed to be useful for both cast and jacketed bullets due to a slower rifling pitch, and that the result was the 32s lost their accuracy faster than a corresponding 30WCF. Whether this is true or not I don't know, however I do know that my uncle bought a 94 32Spl shortly after WWII, my cousin now shoots it and it is very accurate.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray,

The slower rifling twist rate for the 32 W.S. (1:16 versus 1:12 for the 30-30) was designed so that the 32 W.S. could be reloaded with black powder and cast lead bullets. Due to the slower twist rate, it is less tolerant to non-standard bullet weights.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert[:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32 WS less accurate? ? Mine is a 1940 beater, came with a scope, and drives tacks all day ! BT