In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand Op Rod

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently picked up an op rod (reasonable)for a M1 Garand at a gun show, and it doesn't want to work on my Garand,a closer look showed a very faint 7.62 MM on the outside of the handle.I think these were made for the 308 Garands.My question is are the dimensions the same as the standard M1 Garand op rod? If they are then I have another problem. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought an M1 Garand yesterday, and was wondering if someone has a good picture of an unrelieved operating rod? The book I am reading says that these are dangerous, but the provided pics aren't very clear, at least to me. The stamp on my op rod is D35382 9 SA in case it helps with ID'ing it. I just wanted to verify what I have. I also saw in another post stating that these op rods aren't dangerous under normal shooting conditions, and shooting heavy loads (180gr or higher)or grenades is the cause for seperation. Can someone shed some light on this? I'm new to Garand's, and I don't want to mess up a good firearm, or have a broken op rod sticking out of my head. I figured someone here would know. Thanks

Shawn
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has this Garand OP Rod been cut?

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Other than the barrel & spacer, there is no difference in parts between the standard M1 rifle & a 7.62mm conversion by the US military. Conversions are usually stamped on the receiver or the barrel, but other parts may have been marked by an armorer (Air Force?) when assembling batch.

A gunsmith who is a service trained armorer will have the gauges & experience necessary to evaluate your op rod & repair it.

Neal
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The length of a .30-06 M1 operating rod from start of the saddle (the triangular shaped block where the cocking handle attaches to the gas piston) to the end of the gas piston should be 17.33".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the come backs, the op rod is the exact same length as the standard Garand op rod but doesn't hook up properly.I think it needs a gunsmith adjustment. Thanks again
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Down load the manual for the M1 Garand it may save you some money.

http://www.thecmp.org/Comm/Publications.htm

Emmett
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the tab below the handle of the op rod as well. Excess wear can cause it to kick out of the slot it is supposed to ride in on the right side of the receiver.

Ins13.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.