In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert? question about model 12 heavy duck gun

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a 50's made model 12 3" with 30" plain barrel. I always thought of it as a Heavy Duck gun. A dealer told me last week it wasn't a Duck Gun. He said only the one's with a 30 or 32" barrel with a solid rib was a duck gun. could you or another expert explain to me if both or only the solid rib gun is a Duck gun?
Thanks
Mine also has the solid red pad with lead inside the stock

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves me correctly your dealer is correct, they also came with a red Winchester pad on them.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've learned, all 3inch are heavy duck guns. I had one that had been cut and a poly choke added. Shot good just hated the looks of the choke.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    According to the Red Book of Winchester values, they could be bought booth ways, with or without the rib, but with 3" chambers.
    I had to look, because every Heavy Duck I've ever seen had a rib.
    I would have been wrong, if I hadn't looked.
    Love Bert's book.[:D]
    W.D.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    they all are duck guns or they all are not.i don,t think winchester called one with a rib a duck gun and the one with out a rim not a duck gun. T.S. albert,one of the i don,t get it crowd.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a Model 12 has a 3" chamber, it is a Heavy Duck Gun. The majority of them have the solid ribbed barrel.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked in a 1956 Stoeger's Shooter's Bible: The "Model 12 Magnum Duck Gun" was available with plain, solid, or vent rib barrel in 30" full choke. It cost about $11 more than the standard Model 12. The plain barrel model was $93.85 for the standard and $104.85 for the duck gun.

I wonder when the phrase "heavy" duck gun came into use.