In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Husqvarna Crown grade vs Mauser

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
How does the Swedish Husqvarna small ring Crown grade Mauser action compare to a commercial FN mauser as a base for a custom build?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Quality of base unit are both about the same . However for a BUILD it yourself custom. Just like building a custom engine for a HOT ROD small block Chev. has more different Brands of custom parts. With the two choices you give Mauser has more custom parts available.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dokey,

quote:How does the Swedish Husqvarna small ring Crown grade Mauser action compare to a commercial FN mauser as a base for a custom build?

I actually like the Crown Grade better for the most part. It's not just your run-of-the-mill FN Improved, Mauser M98 or derivatives. The Crown Grade is not as readily available. And the biggest difference is simply the thread diameter (ring diameter) which is not a drawback for most of us.

As to building on one, there are triggers, stocks, scope bases and barrels available so how much more customizing do you need? Push comes to shove, you can have (or afford) an extremely custom, expensive stock made to fit your Husqvarna. Most of the barrels can have open sights, hooded front, island rear or quarter ribs added. If some of these features aren't readily available let your custom gunmaker design and build them for you. That's what they get paid to do.

I stumbled on 10 of these actions NIB at a little out of the way gun show in a tiny town in Arizona a while back. At $200/each, they were a little pricey but I managed to sell a few things which allowed me to buy all ten. Over the years, discerning clients made the decision to indulge themselves in a truly custom hunting rifle built on these actions. A few went to Africa for plains game but most stayed in the U.S. to harvest everything from Coues deer to elk.

The Husqvarna Crown Grade are superb actions to build custom rifles on just don't skimp on the building. Make it a dream rifle.

Best.