In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 1892

isutoadisutoad Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
On the Winchester model 1892 was the wood finished in varnish or oil or both. Thank You

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    In front of my trigger guard are the letters, U S C Co. and under that is 9-13-93 # 218. Can anyone help me with the letters and numbers? Number on Winchester is 14355.
    Thanks very much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the value and age of a Winchester model 1892 (.44-40) serial #708966
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking at a model 1892 in a 25/20. It is a take down model. Is it worth more because of the take down and a guess how much if every thing else is equal thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a Winchester model 1892 in a 25/20 cal. I have been told that the barrel has been cut off. What are my options. Should try to find a different barrel or leave it as is. Cabelas has said not worth much.
  • Options
    pdog72pdog72 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The short answer is yes, takedown model Winchesters are generally worth more. From what I've seen and in owning several of them, the TD feature adds more to the 92's than it does the 94's and some other models. You are probably looking at a 20-40% premium for the TD on an 1892. On a plain sporting rifle the value of the TD would probably parallel the condition of the gun. If its a poor condition rifle, then I might only add on 20% or less. If its a high condition gun and is a takedown, I might figure in 30 or 40% more as it just completes the package. Lastly, if the rifle is loaded with special order features, the TD doesn't seem to add as much since it gets minimized by all the other extras.

Ultimately, its all in what you like and there is a cool factor that comes with the takedown models. Just make sure it locks up tight and the receiver and takedown ring mate up nice and tight. If its loose and worn out your desirable TD feature just became a detraction.

Just my two cents,
    Gary
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

I would tend to agree with pdog72 that the take down frame guns are more desirable to some folks and as a result they command a premium in value over a solid frame gun. I would say though that the premium only tends to be in the 20% to 25% increase across the board. A 40% increase in value is too much.

I own more than 30 of these rifles and am conducting a research survey of the 1892's and have looked at well over 7000 of these rifles. If you will post or send me photos I will be happy to advise with regard to the originality and potential value of the gun.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

thanks
    Michael
    2bitrifles@gmail.com

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation