In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

perry shooter

My Wife RulesMy Wife Rules Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
I am considering purchasing an S.T.I. 1911 .45 baseline model! My local rep informed me that every part of the weapon is C.N.C. machined! The price is $750.00. In your opinion is my money better spent elsewhere? Are there better 1911's out there? I value your opinion as it will dictate my decision! Thankyou for your time sir!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I tried to email you about the brick of federal 711B with dimple case heads, but couldn't tell if you emailed me back because the address I used to set this up back in 2001 hadn't been checked in a while and apparently is just a massive junk mail collector.

If you don't mind email me here, darwinfoto09@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I purchased a Remington rand 1911, it was made in 1943, and the barrel says, 45 auto 7791193, can this be an original barrel? All other proof marks look good and look correct, just wondering about the barrel.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 779--- parts are post WWII replacements, not original.
    Probably had a High Standard, which can still be found.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So do you think I may have bought a put together gun? the finish looks good with modest wear, but does not look abused. I was not looking for a safe queen I like to shoot all my guns, but I do like to know what I have. There are no rearsanel marks on it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously if the barrel was made after W W II. It's not original. This isn't a big thing. As HC noted, you can obtain a High Standard barrel, that was made during W W II.

There is another factor you haven't addressed, though. The serial number on the frame. It has to match the Remington Rand slide. Many W W II manufactured 1911A1's. Are found with mismatched slides and frames. This would have a much greater affect on your pistols value, than the post war barrel.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were repairs at the armorer and depot level that did not get to the big arsenals which would have applied a repair stamp. Not that you can prove it.

Remington Rand did not number slides to match the receiver, only Colt did that, and not all the time. There are three identifiable variants of the RR, and you could check against that. But I see no reason for it to be a total "mixmaster" just because the barrel was replaced.

But I am not an expert, I am just amazed at the prices of what I used to call "army surplus." And how the inspector's initial stamp can double - or halve - the resale value of a "collector's item."
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have no way to determine anything more without high quality photos of your gun. Due to the use of corrosive ammo during WW2, it was not uncommon for the barrel to be ruined, while the rest of the gun was in excellent condition. It's still possible to find the correct blued H-S barrel, as the War Dept bought many for use as replacements.

Remington_1.jpg

Remington_2.jpg

The gun pictured above is a Remington Rand, but it's a refinished mixed parts mongrel. It takes a little experience to be able to tell the difference. Note the arsenal rebuild markings.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot guys. I will see if I can get some pics up later today.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Well that's what I get for going to bed early last night.You have gotten some good advice/information. Enjoy your pistol [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok I think I have it figured out, now I'll post the good pics