In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1894 with 20" octagon barrel??

Scottjames2005Scottjames2005 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I recently learned that there are a few people on here that seem to know about everything there is on old Winchesters. So, I'll be posting a few questions. My first is this...Did Win make a 20" octagon barrel for the 94's. I have a 94, serial number 10549XX that has this barrel and I've been questioning it's originality for years. The rifle appears to me to have all of the correct markings. I appreciate your responses. Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Scott,

Yes the Model 94 sporting rifle could be ordered with shorter, or longer barrels than the 26 inch standard but at this time period they are quite uncommon. If you will post a series of photos of the rifle including an image of the last six inches of the barrel with a tape measure next it and one of the fore end wood with a tape next to it we should be able to determine if the barrel is original. Based on the partial SN your rifle was manufacture during 1929.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A friend has '94,s with barrels down to 14" [^]
    Nice little rifles [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    DCS Shooter I would delete Your post and send Bert H an Personal email by double clicking on his user name . 14 inch barrel Not legal to owned unless shipped from factory that configuration .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am working on posting the pictures. I'm having difficulty posting and hope to get it figured out soon. In the meantime, thanks for your responses.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    DCS Shooter I would delete Your post and send Bert H an Personal email by double clicking on his user name . 14 inch barrel Not legal to owned unless shipped from factory that configuration .

All are ATF ok because of age [;)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter

All are ATF ok because of age [;)]

I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket, unless I want them scrambled. even the short barreled 1892 trappers, that are pre 1899 manufactured, have to have the ATF approval paperwork. Something about that short barrel takes away the antique qualifier.

To the original poster, I can hardly wait to se photo's. This here link, should help you.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Best

EDIT 1

Bert,

That is what I was trying to say, is that you needed to have some sort of proof, that it was in original configuration. So, I do stand corrected, as I was not able to bring that with me to the table.

Happy New year, my friend!

Best
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    certain SBR 94/92 are on the c&r list with known serial numbers
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket, unless I want them scrambled. even the short barreled 1892 trappers, that are pre 1899 manufactured, have to have the ATF approval paperwork. Something about that short barrel takes away the antique qualifier.

To the original poster, I can hardly wait to se photo's. This here link, should help you.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Best

Tim,

That is not true. All factory original Winchesters made with shorter than 16-inch barrels that were manufactured prior to 1899 are exempt due to their Antique status. As long as you have a Cody letter showing the date of manufacture and configuration, you are off the hook.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    certain SBR 94/92 are on the c&r list with known serial numbers

You are correct![^] In fact, there are hundreds of Model 1873s, Model 1885s, Model 1892s, and Model 1894s on the BATF's list of exempted SBR, all manufactured after 1898. The BATF has exempted them from the NFA, and listed them as Curio & Relics.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Scottjames2005
    Hello, I recently learned that there are a few people on here that seem to know about everything there is on old Winchesters. So, I'll be posting a few questions. My first is this...Did Win make a 20" octagon barrel for the 94's. I have a 94, serial number 10549XX that has this barrel and I've been questioning it's originality for years. The rifle appears to me to have all of the correct markings. I appreciate your responses. Thanks,

Scott,

I edited your posts with the pictures, and moved the single picture to the post with the other four pictures.

Winchester did indeed manufacture some late production Model 94 "Short" Rifles. I have four of them listed in my research survey that where made later than your Rifle. If you do not mind, I would appreciate it if you would provide with the complete serial number on your Model 94 (so that I can add it to the survey). If you would prefer, us the PM (Private Message) feature and send it to me that way.

In regards to your Model 94 Rifle, there are some visible clues that it is not completely factory original.

1. It has a serrated hammer... Winchester did not introduce that feature until 1946.

2. The top of the bolt is polished in the white steel. In the year 1929 (when your rifle was made), the bolt was 100% blued. It was not until the late 1940s that Winchester left the bolt in the white (not blued).

3. In looking at the left side of the receiver, it is evident that it has been buffed, polished, and reblued. Additionally, the color of the bluing on the magazine tube is not the correct (it is too polished and too dark). My bet is that the entire gun has been reblued.

The good news is that I am relatively certain that the 20-inch barrel is original. It has the correct style barrel address and caliber markings for a late 1920s vintage Model 94 Rifle.