In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

button mag release

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
Morning.
I can't remember what forum I read it on but
I think people were interested in buying
some sort of replacement for Ar mag releases
that would take a bullet to depress the mag release.
What gives with that?
Ron

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Those are on Komiefornicate AR'S and maybe more coming to other states.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Morning.
    I can't remember what forum I read it on but
    I think people were interested in buying
    some sort of replacement for Ar mag releases
    that would take a bullet to depress the mag release.
    What gives with that?
    Ron

IIRC, the State of CA requires that magazines on semi-auto rifles be "fixed", the definition requiring a tool to remove said magazine.

But the law in question never specified WHAT tool, or how hard it had to be to remove, so some clever wag came up with these "mag buttons" that basically block the mag release button so you can't press one with your finger. Instead, you can use the nose of a bullet, or other pointy tool.

You still can't legally use standard capacity magazines, but the mag button does create a loophole that lets gun owners there own some sort of AR-15s legally. This is what they look like in place:

800_600_bulletbutton2.jpg

bbconvert.jpg

Another similar legal loophole workaround is the "monsterman" grip, which effectively converts an "evil" vertical pistol grip into an (incredibly ugly) conventional one. I think this one has metastasized to other fascist states like NY:

CMMG%2BAR-15%2B009dotjpg

Picture0042.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What a bunch of cow dung.
    Ought to let commiefornia
    secede to Mexico.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "Ought to let commiefornia
    secede to Mexico."

what in gods good name would mexico want with it[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well it used to be theirs
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still better than New York, 10 rounds baby [:D]. So who sucks more? Also it's like the SMOG law. Coming to your state, soon.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "Ought to let commiefornia
    secede to Mexico."

what in gods good name would mexico want with it[xx(]

They are already well along to taking it back. They made the mistake of allowing us to immigrate into Texas & other areas & we have been to foolish to learn from their mistake.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    In New York, the only way to buy an AR now is with a fixed magazine. The release is a solid piece welded together, it cannot be depressed with anything.

If you do this, you can have all of the other evil features.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    In New York, the only way to buy an AR now is with a fixed magazine. The release is a solid piece welded together, it cannot be depressed with anything.

If you do this, you can have all of the other evil features.

Not sure if you can or can't buy AR-15s with non-fixed magazines of the shelf, but supposedly you can still legally build/assemble one without registration, so long as its "featureless" (ie no bayonet lug, no vertical pistol grip, threaded barrel, etc).

This leads to some pretty crazy LOOKING rifles, but they can be just as functional as standard AR-15s, the natural end result of bans based on cosmetic features.

AR-15 "spur" grip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=700_QWxR5x4

Thordsen custom stock:
    ny_legal_ar15_2.jpg

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-15-stock.htm

Call me insane, but I actually think this one is pretty cool. Obviously, I don't think bans on vertical pistol grips accomplish anything, and this is probably not the best "tactical" stock, but I think you could do good work with it, if you had to.

More on this here:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_9/404020_.html
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Well it used to be theirs

So did Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Obama gets his way, all of the USA will have similar laws before he is through.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I just took a look at this thread a second time after reading beantowns post (which I thought was excellent) and come back to find that only three total posts in this thread actually addressed the question; the rest were sound bites. This won't stand here in ATE. You are all reminded that in this forum we deal with the question and save the rest for the other forums where you are free to get on your soap boxes to your hearts content.