In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Citori - value

coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looking to find an approximate value for a Browning Citori O/U.

I know there are many different variations out there but here is what I know:

serial: # 0 1 9 1 x x H 3 7 (I believe this dates to 1973)

barrel marked:
special steel
Browning Arms Company, Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q.
Made In Japan

12 ga, 28" barrel, 2/3/4 inch shells only
full choke top
modified choke bottom
original browning recoil/butt pad
no choke tubes, vent rib, front end bead sight only
gun bluing and stock (high gloss walnut) in excellent shape and gun is tight and hardly used

My summary assessment is: nice desirable gun, excellent all original condition. Negatives: limited to 2 3/4" shells and fixed full/modified chokes. Will this affect its desirability?

No box or paperwork - just the shotgun

Looking to find out fair value range as I will be selling this at a local gun show next weekend for a friend. He wants $1,000 which I think may be strong due to its 2 3/4" shell and choke limitations.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to offer

Comments

• Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltnutz

barrel marked:
    special steel
    Made In Japan

full choke top
    modified choke bottom
    gun bluing and stock (high gloss walnut) in excellent shape and gun is tight and hardly used

My summary assessment is: nice desirable gun, excellent all original condition. Negatives: limited to 2 3/4" shells and fixed full/modified chokes

Looking to find out fair value range as I will be selling this for a friend.

coalnutz.....don't mention if you have any of the other "stuff" like the Browning case and such. I have one like yours that I have used little and would not take less than $1k or so for it. Love it to death. Photos would help, of course. They are super shotguns IMO. Hope this helps.[:)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check the actual selling prices on the completed auctions. Far as I know, they are still in production. Figure after 40 years, likely quite a few would show up on the auctions.

From your description, it's likely to be a standard field grade gun. The only thing that might affect the value in a positive way. Is it being a first year of production gun? Don't know if their are any Citori collectors, who are interested in that though?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, I did check current and previous sales on GB and the range was $800-$1,000 but none had straight chokes with 2 3/4" chambers.

Can anyone comment on the 2 3/4" shell and choke limitations as I would think these would make the gun less desirable.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I would check the actual selling prices on the completed auctions. Far as I know, they are still in production. Figure after 40 years, likely quite a few would show up on the auctions.

From your description, it's likely to be a standard field grade gun. The only thing that might affect the value in a positive way. Is it being a first year of production gun? Don't know if their are any Citori collectors, who are interested in that though?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, I did check current and previous sales on GB and the range was $800-$1,000 but none had straight chokes with 2 3/4" chambers.

Can anyone comment on the 2 3/4" shell and choke limitations as I would think these would make the gun less desirable.

To the knowledgeable shotgunner, there are no limitations. He knows that you can do 90% of what you can do with a 3" or 3 1/2", with the 2 3/4". They know the chokes are fairly tight, so it will not be used as an upland bird gun, for the likes of quail, and grouse, but would work well for Ring Neck Pheasant, and turkey.

To the unknowledgeable, they want a one gun does it all, and do not see the beauty, or cant afford to have several guns in their arsenal, for different jobs.

The only limitations this will have as what one is willing to pay. I would say it is worth around $700.00ish, in today's market.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well said and I agree with your comments, thank you

quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

To the knowledgeable shotgunner, there are no limitations. He knows that you can do 90% of what you can do with a 3" or 3 1/2", with the 2 3/4". They know the chokes are fairly tight, so it will not be used as an upland bird gun, for the likes of quail, and grouse, but would work well for Ring Neck Pheasant, and turkey.

To the unknowledgeable, they want a one gun does it all, and do not see the beauty, or cant afford to have several guns in their arsenal, for different jobs.

The only limitations this will have as what one is willing to pay. I would say it is worth around $700.00ish, in today's market.

Best
  • Options
    chief515chief515 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1

barrel marked:
    special steel
    Made In Japan

full choke top
    modified choke bottom

My summary assessment is: nice desirable gun, excellent all original condition. Negatives: limited to 2 3/4" shells and fixed full/modified chokes. Will this affect its desirability?

No box or paperwork - just the shotgun

Looking to find out fair value range as I will be selling this at a local gun show next weekend for a friend. He wants $1,000 which I think may be strong due to its 2 3/4" shell and choke limitations.

• Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    coltnutz......thanks for the email. As I mentioned I paid $800 for my Citori about 15 years ago at an auction, NIB, Browning suitcase, all paperwork, choke tubes and tool. So, since this one does not have those added extras, he is about $200 to high IMO. If he wants to price it to move it, he should be in that $800+-sweetspot IMO. If he hangs in at $1k he most likely won't sell it. Anyway, just my 2c![:)]