In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Purchase From the Anniston CMP Store

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
A few weeks ago I posted a thread announcing I was going to the South CMP store and asking for any advice. I just wanted to follow up and let you all know what a great experience I had. As you all mentioned, the folks at Anniston were more than helpful and answered questions with a smile that I'm sure they've answered a million times before. There was a small selection of M1Cs and M1Ds on hand, all beyond my price range. There were dozens of M1 drill rifles on the racks--ugly things in plastic stocks. Sad that these once fine rifles were reduced to such a state. Also sad that there were no Field Grade rifles available for purchase. Fortunately, there were at least 20 HRA Service Grade Special rifles on display. As advertised, all had magnificant original metal finish and HRA barrels/parts. The only way to distinguish between rifles was by serial number, date of manufacture (54 or 55), and the stock. So, I picked a beauty with a December 55 barrel stamp (my birth month/year) and a well figured, matching stock. Yeah, I could have gotten a similar rifle with an on line purchase, but I got to drive up to Anniston from Fort Benning with my Army 1LT son, visit the fine folks at the CMP store, and pick the M1 Garand of my choice. PRICELESS!!! Thanks for all the previous remarks to my thread. If you ever get the chance to visit a CMP store, do it. Even if you don't buy, it's a hoot.

Comments