In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is this?

stormcrow2012stormcrow2012 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have just got a bolt action rifle. It is marked as follows: U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1899. So it is not an 03 and not a 98. Just what the heck have I got here?

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!

Comments

• stormcrow2012stormcrow2012 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine asked me if I would fix this revolver for him. The problem is that I am not sure what it is. It was made in Germany, and imported by RG. IND. Miami, FL. On the BBL it says ROHM GMBH SONTHE IM/BPZ Model 38S. Thanks for all the help.

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

John
    edited November -1
    I saw this at work and wanted to know if anyone here knew the history of this weapon. The markings said "Mark II" and I think it's a 12 gauge. I know that this weapon and the others were used by the founder of our company, but no one knows anything about it.
    Gun.jpg

Corinthian-turret.gif"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    edited November -1
    Are any of you familar with a Remington o/u derringer Knockoff that replicates the remington signature on the top of the barrel but with misspelled wording .... apparently on purpose? It most certainly isn't an exact replica ... it has a totally different barrel latch and extractor.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239867208

I read or heard somewhere that this was an import possibly from Italy years ago but can't find any real information on it anymore. [?]
    edited November -1
    I have NO idea, please advise.
    Came in a parts lot.

dsc02602e.jpg
    edited November -1
    Unknown_tool.jpg
    This came in a box with an M1 carbine originally from CMP. Any idea what it is? At first I thought it was some sort of tool for the gas plug on a Garand but it is a tad too small.

This is my first picture so 1) I'm pleased it worked and 2) I don't know how to make it bigger.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know what this is besides a wallhanger? Thanks.

zdeChJ0O3I10XVK
    edited November -1
    My dad gave me this. It is a d/a break top revolver. It looks like it may be a 38 s&w. It has "U.S. Revolver Co." and "Made in U.S.A." on the top of barrel. It has #4016 on bottom of trigger guard. No other markings. It has a patina finish. No pictures available.
    Brian
    edited November -1
    I've have a rifle I think German, heavy as hell. The stock goes all the way to the end of the barrel. The shells feed into the side like a carbine the only markings without taking it apart are WAFFENBGIK BERN AND THE SER NUMBER. The action and trigger are very smooth. I don't even have any idea what cal it is and there are no dates.

SEMPER FI
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your photo isn't visible.
    edited November -1
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell its a broken muzzle loader.

How to post photo's link from the sticky above

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Given what little there is to go on...

Proofs tell me that the gun is European. Given what little detail I can make out I suspect Belgian. Buttstock tends to confirm as it's rather thick and bulky as might be expected.

Ramrod guide (I believe that actually is one remaining on the forestock.) would appear intended for a wooden rod. This somewhat points away from a military piece.

Photos? Almost every important detail was omitted. Generally we ask for the following if at all possible:

Butt to forward of lock from all angles.
    Full length side photos. (In this case not possible.)
    Lock detail and side plate detail. (Not possible here.)
    Top barrel flat if signed.
    Proofs if available.
    Muzzle detail.

I suspect no patchbox nor ornamentation. Is there any evidence of such?

Ignition... The breech area has either been drilled and tapped for a barrel-type percussion ignition, or has a small touch hole. I would expect to see considerable erosion in this area.

Barrel... Thin walls or thick? (As in the difference between a shotgun and rifle.)

Bore... Smooth or rifled?

My guess? Fairly early percussion. Maybe flint but no evidence supplied. A utility piece most likely. Not out of the question to be a trade gun such as those supplied by Hudson Bay.

Condition? Pieces/parts. That's about it.

Further questions? Make a trip to Americanlingrifles.com.
    edited November -1
    OK, I've added all the photos I have. I won't have physical access to these parts until summer.

https://www.dropbox.com/photos/c/zdeChJ0O3I10XVK

I suspect no patchbox nor ornamentation. Is there any evidence of such?
    No, I didn't see anything like that.

Ignition... The breech area has either been drilled and tapped for a barrel-type percussion ignition, or has a small touch hole. I would expect to see considerable erosion in this area.
    I didn't see any way to touch off any powder or any sort of breech mechanism.

Barrel... Thin walls or thick? (As in the difference between a shotgun and rifle.)
    I'm not sure. 1/8" thick?

Bore... Smooth or rifled?
    I don't know.

My guess? Fairly early percussion. Maybe flint but no evidence supplied. A utility piece most likely. Not out of the question to be a trade gun such as those supplied by Hudson Bay.
    I couldn't see any flint, percussion or breech mechanism.

Condition? Pieces/parts. That's about it.
    It's in poor condition (and that's being generous)

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Given the added information I'll go with a trade gun. Thin barrel walls tend to confirm such as does the butt style. Quite often the barrel will transition from octagon to round. There will be no rifling as the piece could be used to toss either shot or ball. Further, a rear sight would be unusual on such a piece.

I'm puzzled by the lack of evidence of an ignition system on the side barrel flat. If I were to guess I'd say probably a flint system. The touch hole may have been plugged for one reason or another. Usually this type of ignition system will have two cross screws holding the lock together. The stock, if in good enough condition, will bear evidence of such. Percussion ignition will usually only have one screw.

No matter though. You have an interesting piece of history. Thanks for sharing.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the pics are reversed, the stock appears to be mortised for a left hand lock, which would be unusual for a single barrel.

Are you certain the barrel and stock parts are from same gun?

The proofmarks are not too clear but appear to be German.
    edited November -1
    hrf,

Germany had no proof laws at the time that gun was made. Fact is, Germany did not exist. Photos are really too poor to say more than has already been said.