In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

EAA Witness Compact

kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Howdy. I am looking at a EAA Witness Compact polymer 9mm. Can anyone say if they know these firearms are ok...or know any bad info about them ? Any input appreciated. Thank you, Pete

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the steel version, get the large frame and convert to 9mm so you can shoot all the different calibers
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm just not a fan of plastic framed guns. I am a fan of the Witness but mines all steel.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Witness...OK, here goes. The EAA imported Witness series, is nothing short of a very good, Italian copy of the CZ-75. Both are have very good reputations for reliability, accuracy, ergonomics, and servicability.

As stated, the EAA Witness, is made by Tanfoglio, In Italy. There have been a couple different size frame versions as well as polymer, andmetal framed versions.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kc5gxc
    Howdy. I am looking at a EAA Witness Compact polymer 9mm. Can anyone say if they know these firearms are ok...or know any bad info about them ? Any input appreciated. Thank you, Pete

They're Italian made CZ-75 design copies. The older design, coupled with "lesser" name means you can sometimes find these at nice prices. . .that's a plus.

Almost by definiton, compact polymer framed guns are intended for concealed carry (not target shooting. . .not sport shooting, etc). So for something like that, you don't "need" the ability to convert calibers. . .although I think you may still be able to with the polymer guns anyway. If this isn't for concealed carry, then a full sized all steel version could be a better alternative.

Most people who want to carry compact polymer guns nowadays want "striker" type actions with no external safety or hammer like Glocks or XD-45. These guns have a more traditional DA/SA design with external hammer and safety. Some people like that. . .some don't. . .that's subjective.

The point is, unlike a Glock, you can carry a Witness either hammer down for double-action first pull, *OR* "cocked and locked" like a 1911, if you want to. Note that because these guns lack an external decocker if you want to carry with hammer down, you have to MANUALLY decock the gun. That means dropping the hammer on a live round controlling the hammer with your thumb. . .BE CAREFUL!!!!

Note that the Witness guns are not exact "clones" of the CZ-75, but rather a sort of "evolution" of the original design. Most parts will NOT interchange, and the Witness has a different firing pin block safety compared to the current manufacture CZ-75B. (Arguably the Witness one is better than the CZ-75B because its a "dead man" type plunger that works with the trigger pull, rather than against it).

In terms of quality, the Tanfoglio built guns are perfectly fine, and I have nothing "bad" to say about these at all, except maybe that the blued finish is sort of matte black and fairly bland.

I've put at least 1000 rounds though my all steel Witness with only one issue. At one point the firing pin bound in the channel. That was probably dirt. . .I cleaned it out, hit the firing pin hole with some emery paper to ensure it was smooth, and haven't had an issue since.

I personally wouldn't not hesitate to buy OR carry this gun if I otherwise liked it (and in fact, I have used my steel one for concealed carry a few times. . .though IMO its a bit heavy for that, and polymer is probably nicer to carry).
  • Options
    kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the replies. I have a full size .45 Steel Witness and sure like it. The polymer would be for CC. I really like the way the hammer/safety system works. Can be on safe without being cocked....can go either way. As said above, not for everybody.
    The quality of the polymer guns was my main concern. Thanks, Pete
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the CZ P-01 polymer and it's a keeper
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    If you're looking for a CC gun; look closely at the 38 Super model.
    It can have a large capacity mag(16-18) of more effective rounds than the relatively wimpy 9mm version.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a full-size(polymer frame) EAA 9mm a short time ago. I posted it on here as a matter of fact. I am very pleased with it so far. It has proven to be a nice little pistol.

Jon