In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 mag

headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
About 3 weeks ago I posted a question about what type 44 I should buy, and I got some good advice. I went in to town and bought a 4" SS rubber grip S&W. I want to tell those who answered my questions and recommended the S&W Thanks, It shoots just fine and handles a mag load real nice without much kick, what I really like about it is it's balance it does not jump around in your hand when firing a mag load it comes stright up like a good weapon should.
Thanks again
Harry

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger SST Blackhawk,44 mag 10 1/2 inch barrel with standard grips. I use this revolver for hunting only,problem is when I shoot it more than 2-3 times,it cracks my middle finger when the trigger guard hits it. What can I do ? ...no I'm not gonna sell it..LOL Any remedy?I thought about tape or some kind of softing system...what say?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who has a 44 mag s&w trail boss.were these a mass produced gun?I don't think these would make a good carry for personal protection may good for home defence? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you shoot the same rounds though a rifle that you can a pistol?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have experience with a red dot scope/sight on a 44 mag?
    I have a S/W 629 44 mag that I am considering taking hog hunting and I am also considering a red dot type scope. Not really needing magnification bc shots will be under 50 yrds.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey ruger guys, vaquero 44mag, mint condition. 7 1/2 barrel w/ box and papers. came with ruger pin, got a great deal on it. not for sale, but wondering the value? 1980s model
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    YEP, had one on a Dan Wesson 44 mag. Used it in tight woods for deer.
    Sight in with the load and distance you use.

EDIT, it had a Tasco PDPII.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Try a Gilmore IF you can find one I have one slide mounted on a 45ACP series 70 Colt. It has gone more than 250,000 rounds taking both front and back recoil of the slide never a problem just keep mounts tight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What kind did you have on the Dan Wesson?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 6" Colt Anaconda in .44 mag topped with a Tasco PPII red dot sight. I put this combo together almost 20 years ago. It has been a great combo for me. Easy to get on target and faster follow up shots.0182.jpg[/URL]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    headboy,

Those type of sights are great for that application, as long as you get a decent one, and not a $50.00 cheapy that will fall apart. The type like the C-More' rail sight, Gilmore(which I believe Leupold now markets), Burris Fast Fire 3 series, are good starting points. I use the C-More, on a Ruger Redhawk, and a S&W 657, both in 41 magnum. The key to the better ones, are two fold. You can get ones with a smaller dot, and you can also get ones with intensity adjustment, that will go low enough, for you to not loose your target in low lighting conditions. At the ranges you are talking about, the latter is of more importance than a 3MOA, vs a 7MOA dot.

A lot of folks are diving into the "lighted reticle" fad. There is nothing wrong that, unless you go cheap, and it is not able to be adjusted to be dim enough. In low light, a bright reticle, will make your target dissappear behind it.

Best
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 629 and have been using a Burris Fast Fire III on it. Have been very pleased with it.
  • Options
    .22 L.R.22 L.R Member Posts: 189 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a red dot on a .44 mag Freedom Arms as well as a .357 for deer for a number of years. I've tried open sights as well as conventional scopes and red dots. I feel the red dot if used properly is the best all around sight at least for deer hunting purposes. It allows you accuracy, speed and being able to keep track of your target as well as the dot with both eyes open, try that with a scope. Get a good quality red dot. I've used the old Redfields, Smith & wesson as well as the old tascos (all made in japan). I've never hunted hogs so I don't know how they would work for that purpose but its my understanding they can & will attack you. That's why I don't know how a red dot would work for them. ???
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bushnell holosights on all my revolvers, but the recoil some times shuts the scope of and I don't know why.

pict0065s.jpg
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot one.

Its a lot easier to see than iron sights, especially in dim light, that's for sure! Its also faster to line up.

There is a little more "jiggle" compared to iron sights, so you do have to get used to that if you've never tried a red dot before.

As mentioned, biggest caveat is that MUST get a quality sight. . .the cheapies won't hold zero, make a blurry dot that's fatiguing on the eyes, and also run through batteries quickly. The latter is a big issue, because if you accidentally leave the sight on, next time you pick up the gun, the dot will be DEAD. The newest generation of sights can run up to a full year on a single battery, an in practice, some people just leave them on at all time!

A .44 magnum will probably destroy one of the sub $100 dot sights in only a few shots.

Also, you MUST get a good mount. Bad mount won't hold zero, and can even fly off the gun under recoil!
  • Options
    farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by festus
    I have a 629 and have been using a Burris Fast Fire III on it. Have been very pleased with it.

That's exactly what I use for deer hunting. I like the low-profile "reflex" style red dot for a handgun, rather than the tube style, but either work. I am WAY more accurate with the red dot compared to open sights. I can keep a decent size group out to 50 yards or just a little further.

My setup looks a lot like this:

153457601.lm2SWxy9.152941267_yqxYyHyo_photo3700.jpg
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    edited November -1
    Millet red dot on my .480 Ruger Super Blackhawk.
    I don't shoot full house loads, but my reloads pack a wallop.
    Probably 200 plus rounds and the sight has functioned flawlessly.
    IMG_20140202_170455_zps61464ece.jpg