In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Officers Model

headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt Officers model in 38 cal. with a 6 inch barrel. Serial number 305XXX in very good condition with a very bight blue finish. It has a few spots of surface rust. I believe it is a First Model manufactued in 1908. Any Idea what it might be worth in todays market? My books are dated.
Any info as to where the best place to sell would be greatly appreciated.

Regards: Vic D vdegrazia@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    No luch at Numerich in finding a rear sight. Called Colt and that looks like the route to follow. Send it to them and let them install a new sight or repair the existing one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a "Colt Officers Model" not target or match just officers model.
    It's 22 LR
    The Ser. No. is 4467 K
    I looked on Proofhouse but don't find anything with a "K"
    As far as just the 4467 it's looking like 1930 or 31??
    Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Gun is in excellent condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt "Officers Model" in 38 special. Serial #38xxx. The firearm is in fair condition with complete bluing but with very light rust spots but no deep pitting. Any idea as to what it may be worth? Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards: Vic D
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Edit sorry I first posted incorrect info.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got this photo off the net. It supposedly is a late, post W W II. 3rd issue, Officers Model Target. Supposedly they, ( Colt ), made changes in the prewar to postwar guns. Maybe their was a change in barrel markings also?

Colt_Officers_Model_Target_caliber_stamp.JPG
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "K" is just an inspector's mark. It is NOT part of the serial number.

For reasons known only to Colt, while the catalogs identified the revolver in question as an "Officers Model Target," Colt did not stamp the barrel "Officers Model Target" until Post-War, but prior to the introduction of the bull-barrel Officers Model Special.

The Colt Officers Models have some of the most confusing nomenclature and serial numbering of any Colt, but they are also wonderful revolvers.

The Wilson charts show the .22 caliber Officers Model serial numbers for 1931 commencing at 5900, so the subject revolver should be 1930 production. Being 1930 production, it should NOT have the embedded-head cylinder.