In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Leavell Mauser history ???

freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
My friend has a used imported mauser made in Belgium. It is marked C. Leavelle Sumpter and 416 rgb. From what I can gather it was imported by C. Leavell, Sumpter SC who died in 1975. It is 90% condition. What we would like to know is who made it for import,dom, and appx worth. #237x
Any info or references to info is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We would need quality, close-up photos. ( specially all markings and proof marks), To answer your questions.

Instructions for posting photos to the forum. At this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1962 Gun Digest pictures the Leavell Mauser. It only describes it as European made and imported by Charles H. Leavell. Price for the rifle in .416 cal was $250.00. On the same page the Mannlicher-Schoenauer in magnum calibers was listed at $298.00 and across the page is listed the Sako Deluxe Forester for $209.00. Of course these prices have little baring on what it is worth today but it was in good company.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being that the .416 was a closely guarded proprietary round at that time, I'll assume the rifles were made a cut above what was being imported at that time for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the price. Rifles of that type are running in the $1000-$1200 price range.

Understand that is a wild guess without any more information on what they sell for now. But, non guild Mausers of better quality are running for about that. There needs to be provenance along with the rifle what it is. Anyone with a nice looking custom Mauser could say what they want but a solid source gives a performance base line and standard feature/look/quality that determines price.

A well made custom of that caliber and quality would run $500-$700 on it's own.
  • Options
    rlatham664rlatham664 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My step-uncle was Charles W. Leavell of Sumter, SC. He did indeed die in 1975 and was an importer of Mauser rifles, Kreighoff firearms, and Pecar-Berlin scopes. I have many of his rifles and I try to buy any that come up for sale. I have purchased five in the last four years. The least expensive being $300 (rifle in good condition, with scope and in .270 Winchester) and the most expensive was $1100 (mint custom grade in .375 H & H). Collectors Firearms sold one for $1200 last year that I missed out on.
    If you'll post pictures, I can tell you a bit more about it.
    I have a brochure for his rifles if you would like one; give me your email. If your friend would be interested in selling it, I am a serious buyer.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rlatham664,

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Being a fan of Mausers both original and sporterized (those that are done well) I can appreciate you posting on this very much.

I always love to see those that can see the non-military purpose in a Mauser as much as the military purpose. As I mentioned I love both, and don't hold a grudge against those who do a nice job making these into beautiful pieces of working art.