In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Antiquing Ivory Grips

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone ever try to make ivory grips look old or antique looking? Would like to make these have the lines like the very old ivory grips have. These grips are already about 30-40 years old but have never been on a gun or out in the air, sun light, etc. and never been handled very much. Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have got the color I wanted but not the lines. I soaked grips in strong tea for about 24 hours.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ron Packard, knifemaker, suggests fatback for bringing out color but age is the only thing I know of that will give you the cracks. There either there, or you wait a LONG time.

Sorry about the earlier mis-spelling of Ron's last name.
    Great guy. Great knives!
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your First post about this ivory, I linked to two sites and asked you to read them. Did you???

this is a quote from one of them....

"""3. A method used to replicate the slight cracking that occurs sometimes with old ivory is to place it alternately in a furnace and a freezer so that the alternate heating and freezing causes the surface to crack."""
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Cracks like the ones That are in Forgemonkeys picture are refered to as BARK Because they are normally found on the outer edges of a TUSK. Very small cracks show up with age normally cross grain But Be aware any attempt to age grips by combination of Heat then freezing may let you end up with 10 piece Grips. instead of two piece one left and one right side [V][:(!][xx(][:(] when one pays north of $400.00 for an oversize pair of grip blanks that are oversize to allow for Fitting to your frame
    I would be very careful before trying to make them produce cracks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the information, grips may be too expensive to try and make them crack, [:(]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought some SAA smooth ivory grips someone screwed up with tea.
    Fortunately, the stain was superficial and scraped off easily.