In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone know anything about this gun?

GUITARDJGUITARDJ Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a 22 rifle that I found in my grandfathers tool shed after he passed away and I can't find it in the Blue book at all. It has Springfield in bold letters followed by Model 15. Next to the bold Springfield print it says Savage arms corp. I can't seem to find a serial number on this gun at all. It is a single shot bolt action and after bolting the action you have to pull back the bolt hammer to cock the gun. It looks extremely old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. --Thomas Paine

Comments

• Options
    SurfSalvageSurfSalvage Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Stevens-Springfield as Some Stevens carry the Savage
    name.

Not real old, mfg 1937-48.
    Ser# were not required prior to 1964
    Value some where between $100-125 depending on cond.

alcm.gif
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SurfSalvage is right on the mark. My book identifies your rifle as being a "STEVENS-SPRINGFIELD" and goes on to say "these were produced in great quanity over the years" then give a list of model numbers, then "inexpensive, utilitarian, bolt-action rifles".
    Savage acquired Stevens in 1920.
  • Options
    skinamarinkskinamarink Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have one of these that was given to me minus the bolt, found a new bolt and turned it into a pretty good shooter. Mine is a model 15B but is basically the same as yours. Stevens made these between 1937 and 1948, pretty much your basic 22 single shot
  • Options
    GUITARDJGUITARDJ Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks, I appreciate your responses. I thought it curious not to see a serial number anywhere. You guys were very helpful. DJ

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. --Thomas Paine
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No s/n prior to '64 and now we have ballistic fingerprinting. We've come a long way baby! Yeah, sure.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Your wonderful little Model 15 brings back many happy memories. I got one for Christmas in 1948 when I was 13 years old. My first rifle!

That little baby killed hundreds of those dangerous and wiley Campbell's Tomato Soup cans!

Current value:

Fair = $50
    Good = $100
    V.G. = $200

P.S. My dad paid $15 for mine in '48.