In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handloading Tracer Bullets

SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I was at a gun show over the weekend and noticed a lot of tracer bullets for sale. Not live ammo, only the bullets. Is it wise to handload these yourself? If so, where would you get the data for such a load? The seller had several calibers to choose from, and I almost bought some of the 62 grain 5.56mm, but I changed my mind. Thanks in advance.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    You should be able to load them yourself without much problems the same way you load your regular ammo. The tracer rounds will have a different ballistic performance than a standard round, but you can load them the same as your standard rounds.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're illegal to shoot in some places. Be sure and CYA.
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Illegal to possess in some places as well :)
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    What everyone said is true, but to address you question. Duncan Long wrote a very good book called "Combat Ammunition" a few years back. There is a chapter on making and loading your own tracer ammo. It's not hard or dangerous at all (anymore than loading ball). Loading data was included. One thing about buying tracer bullets is that the compound is very hydroscopic, so unless you are absolutely sure what the conditions were in making and packaging, they may not trace. Sad that some places restrict tracers. They do have a place in teaching ballistics to newcomers.
    Good luck
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    What everyone said is true, but to address your question. Duncan Long wrote a very good book called "Combat Ammunition" a few years back. There is a chapter on making and loading your own tracer ammo. It's not hard or dangerous at all (anymore than loading ball). Loading data was included. One thing about buying tracer bullets is that the compound is very hydroscopic, so unless you are absolutely sure what the conditions were in making and packaging, they may not trace. Sad that some places restrict tracers. They do have a place in teaching ballistics to newcomers.
    Good luck

<P>
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP.... there is a book called "Army ammunition data sheets- small caliber ammunition" TM 43-0001-27. It gives load data for virtually all the military ammo from 22lr up to 30mm. It includes data for ball, tracer, armor piercing, frangible, blanks etc.
    The book covers what type powder is used and how much for each load.