In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cast bullet data 9mm

22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have been unable to locate load data for Bullseye load using 95 gr cast bullets in 9mm Luger and .380 Auto.
Would the 95 gr FMJ be too hot?
(I have ton of it so I don't want to use another powder)

t_gulfyc.jpg
underwaysm.gif
SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
A Grumpy Old Man

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    You need to get a Lyman manual if you are going to use lead bullets. My manual shows 100 gr swc lead start at 3.3gr bullseye to a max of 4.4 gr and 92 gr rn lead 4.O gr start to 5.1 gr max. this is for the 9mm. For the 380, 92 gr rn lead 2.4 gr bullseye to a max of 3.0 gr. For the 100 gr swc, 1.9 gr bullseye to a max 2.7 gr. I have loaded a lot of 95 fmj in a 9mm without problems. It work ok in some guns, but may not be accurate in others. I show that in the 9mm Luger with the 95 gr fmj, 3.5 gr bullseye to a max of 5.0 gr. Lyman shows a speed of 1307 fms with the 5.0 gr load with the 95 fmj from a 4" test barrel. You may have fuctioning problems with a fast burning powder like Bullseye in some pistols. I prefer to load with a powder like AA5 in a 9mm if I am trying for good performance at maximum speeds.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Pearyw Thanks for your reply
    Received this from Alliant

1060 fps and the max is 5.2 grs @ 1315 fps. I would stay on the low end to
    reduce the possibility of leading. In the 380 with the same bullet, the
    Lyman manual suggests starting with 2.4 grs
    915. With both calibers, load only a few to begin with for a function
    check. Thanks for your interest in contacting us and let me know if you
    have any additional questions. Have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
    Consumer Service Manager
    Alliant Powder Company
    www.alliantpowder.com

t_gulfyc.jpg
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    nam barneynam barney Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Lyman cast bullet handbook lists loads for a 92 gr. cast bullet for those calibers. For the .380 starting grains of Bullseye is 2.4 gr. @ 750 F.P.S. Maximum load is 3.0 gr. @ 915 F.P.S.
    9MM starting at 4.0 gr. @ 1060 F.P.S. maximum load is 5.2 gr. @ 1315 F.P.S.