In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

recoil pad for shotgun

ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Im looking for a recoil pad for a Mossberg 500 20 Ga. I've been looking at the Pachmayr Decelerator but the diminsions I have seen for the pad are slightly larger than the diminsion of my stock, about .125 inch length,but width is about the same(Not sure if the 12 and 20 Ga are different sizes).Also not sure what part of the pad is being measured.
Can someone tell me how will this pad fit, are diminsions close enough that it will not look sloppy?
What is everyone opinion on this recoil pad.
Any other recomendation for a recoil pad.

Comments

• Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Steve, I am curious as to why you feel like you need a recoil pad for the 20 gauge shotgun - is it to soften the recoil or to add length of pull? It is really none of my business, but I have put a pad on only one shotgun and it too was a 20 gauge (a very inexpensive New England single-shot) that I modified for my young son to soften the recoil. I cut the stock down to where its reduced length plus the pad yielded the same length of pull as his pellet gun. This was a wooden stocked shotgun and I cut so much stock off that the pad was VERY much larger than the stock. But with the pad installed (cemented and screwed) I sanded the pad down with a floorstand-mounted belt sander (lightly and slowly, a little at a time) and the result is a seamless fit where you can barely feel and hardly see the transition from wood to pad. It is unlikely that you are going to find an exact size pad to fit your stock, whether you intend to cut it down or not. Is your Mossberg a wood stocked or a synthetic stocked model? Good luck with your project. Jim

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most after market recoil pads are oversized and will need to be fitted. Gunsmiths in my area usually charge $25 to do this.
  • Options
    ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kinda of a wimp when it comes to recoil,LOL. Shotshells Dont bother me but slugs tend to hurt a little(when target practicing), after about 6 or 7 rounds Im pretty sore and the hard rubber pad that came with the gun in my opinion sucks.
    I have a wood stock on my 500.
    Thought that when it advertised as a prefit pad that it would fit without any modifactions.
    Thanks for the advice.
    [8D]
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Adding a recoil pad doesn't make you a wimp. It means you'll be able to shoot better and that's good. They are, however, all oversize. They're supposed to be that way. Put a strip of masking tape on the stock. Attach the pad, and if you have a belt sander, sand off the excess. Not have a belt sander, you'll have to cut and file. Or pay a smithy.
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Steve, I see. Whenever recoil makes shooting any firearm (pistol, rifle or shotgun) unpleasant and it can be remedied or reduced, by all means, let's do it. Since you are looking to reduce recoil and not increase the length of pull, you will probably be looking at cutting/shortening your stock (that is why I asked if it was wood or plastic) which is a little tricky but not that difficult. Once the pad is mounted on the reduced stock it can be trimmed to conform to the dimensions of the stock. This is trickier but the whole operation can be done by most anyone who is the least bit handy and has access to the tools - saw and sander. As I said earlier, I did it to a $50.00 shotgun...I may have sought the services of a smith if it were a more valuable shotgun. Best, Jim

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm curious about steve's question about opinions on the Pachmayr Decelerator pad. I bought my son a 20 gauge youth model Mossberg 500. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I really don't know what the recoil is like with the factory pad.

But I know my son is kind of recoil-sensitive, so I am thinking I might want to replace the factory pad with a good Pachmayr or Kick-eez pad. Which is better, and will either change the recoil much?
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a product called Shooter's Friend. It is a recoil pad that slips over the existing pad. It is made of soft rubber, so it slips over anything. I used it for the first time today. It helped a lot on my Mosin Nagant carbine. Anyone who's shot one of these knows how bad they hurt. It's still a big shove, but the stock doesn't dig into your shoulder. I had a Pachmayr slip on pad on it, but it didn't help all that much. This is MUCH better. It's not pretty but it does it's job. Here's the website I got it from.

www.footcomfortworld.com

-Marcus

***When the Second Amendment falls, the First will be sure to follow.***
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd agree with gravedigger, a slip-on pad might be just the ticket if it won't make the length of pull too long. You somewhat get an accumulative effect with 2 pads on there. I'd try a slip-on first and see if it helps. Then you won't have to modify your firearm and cost less too.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    STEVE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT ADDING A RECOIL REDUCER ALSO. YOU CAN GET THESE FROM BROWNELLS, GAMALIEL, ETC ONLINE. THEY HAVE STOCK MOUNT AND BARREL MOUNT AND THEY WORK GREAT AND ARE UNIVERSAL SO IF YOU GET ANOTHER GUN YOU CAN TRANSFER IT.