In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Duck and goose loads

Duckslayer16Duckslayer16 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
What is the best shot size and brand of shell for hunting geese and water foul over water? I have an mossberg 835 with an 3-1/2 chamber with mod. choke.

Comments

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use remington hevi-shot, works well for me. quite expensive! why dont you buy a few different brands and pattern your gun. that is the best way to find out what it likes!
  • Options
    woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duckslayer, go to www.nitrocompany.com, the owner's name is Ray, they call him Nitro Ray, and he does custom loads for all kinds of game whether it be waterfowl, turkey, deer, etc. I use his turkey loads and duck loads exclusively. Ray has recommended loads based on the type of gun you shoot and the type of choke you shoot. You have a couple of choices with him. You can actually send your gun to him and have him test pattern it which includes choke, shells, etc. or since you shoot a popular gun, Ray will know immediately which load and choke your gun likes. There is a lot to be said for custom ammo and it is definitely worth the money to put a good choke on your waterfowl gun. Ray loads all the stuff (bismuth, tungsten, steel, etc.) If you go to his website, you'll see what I mean, but you should also give a call and chat with him. These guys run a top notch deal and their product is worth the money. I just got my shipment of Turkey loads in last week and shot my Super X 2 in. I'm getting almost 250 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a load that Ray loaded for me that has the hevi shot in 4x5x7 shot in 3.5 inch magnum loads. I literally put the browing "10 gauge" back in the guncase when I found Nitro, the 12 gauge combination he loads for me well surpasses what the 10 gauge would do with factory ammo. Now, get out the wallet, he ain't cheap, but most of the finer things in life aren't. Hope this helps..........

woodyd
  • Options
    djcissedjcisse Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use #2 or larger for ducks and BBB or larger for geese. During our September teal season I use #4 shot. I tried the hevy shot but it is too expensive for me.