In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 710, Good Deal?

jongibson44jongibson44 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy my first Deer rifle. I had been thinking of shopping for a used gun to keep the cost down, but the 710 seems to have a lot of what I think I want, for a great price. My research had me thinking of a Remington 700, I know I want a bolt action, and the more I learn the more I want a .270win. I would love a wooden stock with a great grain pattern and checkering, but for hunting, a man-made stock might be more practical? Any reason not to buy this rifle?

Comments

• Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, welcome. I would consider the model 710 a deal only if 3to4" groups at 100yds is acceptable, it is fine for beginers but not for serious hunters. Good luck.
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    IMHO you pretty much get what you pay for. The 710 should never be confused with a 700!! It is not the same. For a budget priced rifle I would prefer one of the Savage combo pkg deals.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    jongibson44jongibson44 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If not the 710, am I right in thinking that the Remington 700 would be the best option in a bolt action. What model 700's would be a good option to save some money. There seem to be alot of different 700 models, I'll be hunting in Wa. State in both wooded mountains and high plains
  • Options
    elmoelmo Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 700 BDL that I may sell in 270 caliber w/scope. In excelent condition. and may I add very accurate.I won in a raffle.

Elmo
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    For your money, the Savage 110 series bolt guns provide much more bang for the buck. Prices should run about the same as the 710. Accuracy will be as good or better than a 700 remington but fit and finish may not be quite so good. Generally as far as man made versus wood stocks it is a matter of personal preferance. One looks good new and if cared for will look good for a long time. One will look OK forever. I would not generally recomend the 710. If you want an inexpensive remington, buy a used 788.

Why does everyone feel the need to burn that much powder?
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elmo, how much are you selling your .270 for?

"If it's brown, it's down" crosshair.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd take $485.00 for it. I can supply pictures or what ever you want. I promise it's in like new condition!
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    hey Elmo in your last post you said it was bought by your dad not won in a raffle get your story straight
  • Options
    woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jongibson44, I really haven't been able to understand why people will buy the 710. For just a little more, you can pick up a quality gun. I agree with the savage idea except for the scope package deal. Most any serious hunter or shooter has as much or more in the optics than the gun. I know you're just starting out, but you'll likely own whatever you purchase for a long time to come. If you enjoy hunting and have a nice gun w/ nice scope, then great you're all set. If you decide you don't really enjoy hunting and have a nice rifle w/nice scope you can always sell it. You'll only lose by purchasing a cheap gun imho. I have a really good friend who's going thru some pretty hard times right now and is selling most of his guns. He used to own a gun store here in South Carolina, and has many new in the box guns. One of the guns he has, new in the box, is a Winchester Model 70 Classic with synthetic stock in .270 cal. These are awesome guns. I'm sure he will sell the gun for what he paid for it as a dealer in 1995 plus the shipping cost he had invested in the gun. If you're interested in the gun, post your email addy on this thread and I'll email you his email addy. He had two of these in .270 and I bought one of them, but didn't need both. I put a Leupold 3.5x10x50 vari x 3 on it, and it's a great hunting gun. Let me know.

woodyd
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the money,go Savage you won't go wrong.There are many models to choose from right or left handed.

[8D]

ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    hey Elmo in your last post you said it was bought by your dad not won in a raffle get your story straight

Read the posts again the 223 was bought by my father and is a Gamemaster 760, the 270 is a 700 BDL I won.