In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One of the first made Remington 760 223 made

elmoelmo Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Remington 760 Gamemaster in good condition in the 223 caliber. To the best of my memory it was purchased by my Dad in 1967 or 68. I'm wondering what it is worth? I went to bow hunting,for more of a challenge and now have arthritus and can't use either one, and have no children to give it to. I can supply pixs etc. Since digital photography took over as my[:(] hobby. I have several other guns I'm interested in selling to support my new habit. :))I just looke for a serial # and if it's localed when you pull the action back it's 444003
Thanks
Elmo[:(]
I seem not to get any answers but some viewer's can someone tell me where I should post this type of question?? I appoligize if i posted out out of a rule or affended anyone!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My book notes there's a "Premium" for 760's in .223 caliber. Unfortunately if your rifle is in "Good" condition only, that translates into a value of between $200 & $250.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good condition in my opinion is a matter of each individuals opinion and I'm not sure how you people grade these?? I am a country boy in Pa. and would never let it go for that when I saw newer models going for more than that!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Elmo here are the ratings as used by the National Rifle Association. How would you grade your rifle using these ratings?

NRA Grade Ratings
    FACTORY NEW
    All original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.
    EXCELLENT
    All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.
    FINE
    All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.
    VERY GOOD
    All original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.
    GOOD
    Some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or reblued; principal lettering, numerals, and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched, bruised, or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.
    FAIR
    Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or reblued; rounded edges on metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals, and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked, or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.
    POOR
    Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals, and design obliterated; wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked, or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that is the rating system it SUCKS. A gun with none to 30% of original finish very good HAHAHA. IF someone sold me a gun and said it was very good and used that system I would be out raged.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just pulled them off the Net, It was from the first site that I found that gave NRA ratings.
    They do look kind of funny, wonder if there the ANTIQUE ratings?
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a look at this.This is from the GunBroker Auction site.

[8D]

Home For Sellers For Buyers My Auctions Discussion Forum / Want Ads Help Center
    Auctions: Categories New Today Ending Today Going, Going, Gone Search
    Specialty Queries: Used Items Brand New Items Big Ticket Items No Reserve Hot Items BuyNow!

Antique Firearm Condition Standards

The following standards were set forth by the NRA for describing the condition of an antique firearm. The NRA officially calls these their "Condition Standards for Antique Firearms"

Unspecified - The condition of the item was not specified by the seller.

Factory New - all original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.

Excellent - all original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.

Fine - all original parts; 30% to 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood, good bore.

Very Good - all original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.

Good - some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or reblued; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched, bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.

Fair - some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or reblued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.

Poor - major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated; wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collectors firearm.

GunBroker.com - The Web's Largest Hunting and Sport Shooting AuctionT
    Copyright c 1999 - 2002 GB Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved Worldwide
    Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
    Make Money with your web site - Join our Affiliate Program

ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about that Elmo, these are the CORRECT NRA Standards!

NRA CONDITION STANDARDS FOR MODERN FIREARMS:

NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.

PERFECT: In New condition in every respect.

EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).

VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.

GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.

FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. Using those standards I would rate this gun very good to fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just looked in the new "Blue Book" Fjestad said that Remington only made (200) total 760's in .223 Caliber between 1964 & 1968.
    He values it between $775 & $995
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Ruf-snow for your diligent research!! Is there a way I can tell what # this was off the line? Here's a pix i just took. It is the most accuate rifle I've ever shot and I've done my share( not in compition!)
    223.jpg