In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS question

rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I don't know anything about an SKS.

How do you convert a fixed mag to a detachable 30rd mag or don't you?

I'm thinking about buying an SKS to keep in the trunk of my car because they are so cheap and I already have a couple thousand rounds of 7.62x39 ammo.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    How can you tell if a sks sporter is actually a sporter or just a type 56 that has been converted to accept the ak mags? I have seen several thumb-hole stock sks sporters and also own one(thumb-hole stock). Mine as well as all the ones I have seen say sporter on the receiver. Reason I am asking is because I was at a gun show and a guy was telling me that the gun he was selling was bought new in the box with the standard stock and was a sporter...Model D, whatever you want to call it. It's common knowlege that sporters were sent out from the factory with different style stocks including the standard type 56 stock. Anyway, I noticed it did not say sporter on the receiver. I had never seen a sporter without the thumb-hole stock in person before so I did not know rather or not those were also marked sporter on the receiver. So does anybody know if they made sporters that did not say sporter on the receiver? I passed on the deal because I believe that all sporters will say sporter on the receiver. Less than 2 mins later he sold it to a dealer. I then ask the dealer and he said he did know really know the answer, that he just bought it because it would take the ak's mage and 7 mags went with it, and the price was right. So do all sporters say sporter on the receiver?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live in Illinois Cook County to be exact. I have been eying an sks stamped 1950. I guess my first question is

1. is this legal to own in Cook county

2. is it concidered an assult weapon.

I just want to find out before I attempt to buy one.

if anyone knows the answers to these questions or know where to direct me to find the answers that would be a great help..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the gas chamber thing on my yugo sks is very loose and I cant seem to figure out why, is this a bad problem or can I just ignore it amd deal with the annoyance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok i just put a syn.stock on my SKS and it still feels loose like its not snug or fitting tightly any suggestion

The Eye of the Dead never misses so watch ur own @$$
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well guys i am home just in time for the holidays...going to go to new york in a day or so and try to find closure for all that has happened and my personal loss in what occured on 9/11...good ol georgia...anyway i have a question on an sks i picked up a few years ago,,,i was told it was a bringback from the vietnam war and i was sure it was but now i am begining to wonder..it is romainian with a blade bayo on it..on the barrel it is stamped mod 56 762x39 then further down the barrel by the bayo lug it says cugir romania then below that it is stamped from what i can make out c.a.i. st. alb.vi.on the receiver it is stamped RA3010-1960 on top of the bolt which is chromed it's stamped RA3010 trigger group and 10 rd box magazine has the same RA3010 stamp and on the bolt by the ejection slot it is stamped 233 any idea what i got here??is it a bringback or just a plain ol sks..by the way i have managed to buy the 1864 58cal cap and ball musket which belong to great great grand dad who served as a scout with the illinois volunteers during the civil war so it will remain in the family awhile longer..thanks for any info and wish you all a merry christmas and a very happy new year...god it is good to be home...afghanistan sucks this time of the year
  • Options
    edited November -1
    got a nice Romanian sks. from what I understand, as far as numbers imported, Romanians are, or should be the rarest of all of all sks's. only a couple thousand inported as opposed to 7000 Albanians? any thoughts? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Up here in PA tommorow is the first day of deer season...just out of curosity what if I take the Gas Piston and Op. Rod out of my sks, so it wouldnt cycle, could I use it to deer hunt or not. 2nd off would it be safe to shoo the gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how can you tell by looking at the gun whether it has a milled or stamped receiver and threaded-in barrel? Pictures would probably be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an SKS that was originally manufactured to accept detachable AK-47 magazines. It has a wooden thumbhole stock and the following stamp is on the left side of the receiver:

SKS SPORTER 7.62X39 MADIE IN CHINA BY
    NORINCO LABANU, INC. RONKONKOMA, NY. 93 17XXX

I heard that the receivers on these rifles are milled and not stamped. Also, is this considered "pre-ban"?

I have determined that this is a "type 56 carbine" due to the detachable magazine feature and the fact that there is no typical Norinco "triangle" symbol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got to shoot one for the first time a couple months ago. It put a big grin on my face for the rest of the day now I have to have one. I prefer a Chinese or a Russian, based on recommendations. Probably too expensive on the Russian, I'm on a tight budget right now. I've checked the local gun show and shops. I can find new Yugos, still in cosmoline, for $100-$120, but I hate messing with that crap. I've cleaned it out of magazines before but never a rifle. I've seen some ragged out Chinese SKS's for $150 but I'd like something that's in nice shape, not new just nice.
    Am I just fishing in the toilet bowl trying to find a decent, nothing fancy, Chinese SKS for under $150 in central Ohio?
    The gun prices around here are about average for most everything.
    What's a fair price for a Chinese SKS as described?
    Thanks to all who reply,
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do I remove the stock from a russian sks?

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a SKS and I noticed the buttplate was loose...tried to tighten but one of the screws has stripped out the wood...the wood looks a little oily and I am sure than didn't help. The question is what is the best was to fix? Clean out the hole and fill with wood putty...drill out the hole and glue in a wood dowel, then drill a starter hole...other ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Norinco sks, made in 1975. It shoots flawlessly, and is very accurate. The problem I have are small metal flakes in the receiver-bolt area. I can't tell where they are coming from. I am guessing they are from the receiver rails for the bolt. Is this normal wear? I was using gun oil on the bolt-receiver area. I switched to a synthetic grease to try and eliminate any more flakes.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a M type sks the one that is factory modified to accept AK mags, Thought it would be fun to plink around with, My question is that the mags really are hard to fit into weapon is this normal? And if I took a file to widen catch a little do you think it would harm anything? Thanks

SC-Slide-Small.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can I tell what type SKS I have?
    I have seen type 56 mentioned frequently.
    I recently purchased a Chinese SKS.
    There is the number 26 in the triangle on the receiver.
    Importer was in Ca.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tony
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going to buy an SKS for my Christmas present to myself.
    I have a choice of an older Norinco with matching numbers or a new Yugo SKS. They each cost the same, $139. I imagine I can put a bayonet on the Norinco, but not the Yugo. This rifle will be for behind my truck seat.

Please give me the Pros and Cons on the Norinco and the Yugo.
    Which would be your choice and why?

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never encountered the same problem on my SKS it is also a type 56.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it is chrome plating from the bolt/carrier. Sometimes it can be from the ammo too. What color are the flakes?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are silver colored. I also use steel cased ammo, but I don't think its the ammo.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you got the chrome plated bolt and carrier?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't think they are chrome plated. They look to be stainless steel to me.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it's shiny it's probably chrome-plated. It'll get better after a lot of use. Little flakes are normal, big flakes indicate a wear or fit problem. Make sure you put a little lube on the locking block in the receiver too, a lot of pressure on that part and if its dirty/unlubed it can chip the chrome off the bolt.