In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 12 Trap

draginfishdraginfish Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I saw a Winchester Model 12 Trap model at the gunshop today that caught my eye. It was made in 42 and is in pretty good condition with very nice wood. It also has an engraving scene on the reciever (ducks on one side and dogs flushing birds on the other)that is very similiar to the pigeon grade but i was told that it was not factory done. The choke has also been opened to modified. They are asking 650. I would like to purchase something that will hold its value if I decide to sell it. Does this sound like a good deal or is it not worth it because of all of the "aftermarket" modifications? Any input or info would be appreciated.

thanks
John

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 12 Trap, serial # Y2005XXX, at least thats what I was told it was. It is not marked trap on it. How can I know for sure that it's a trap model? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone have an idea on value of a Winchester Model 12 12ga with a Winchester vent rib and custom trap wood?

I've never seen anything like this before, beautiful wood has palm swell and very nicely contoured. Only problem I can see is that the barrel and receiver serial numbers do not match. I'd say the gun is in about 98-99% overall. I'll get some photos on here, just thought I'd post and see if anyone had any idea. I don't see many with Winchester vent ribs either. Receiver serial number 11502xx 30" full chocke barrel.

Also is there a "trap" version of the model 12 or were these just customized to be trap guns?

-Adam
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a Model 12 that is supposed to be a trap model. It is not marked trap. I found out that it was made in 1972. Does anyone know how to identify a trap model? Is the serial number put on the stock or forearm? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    The Mdl 12 1972 Trap will have 30" vent rib barrel, F Choke, Engine turned bolt, trap style stright stock.
    No marking as to being "Trap Model"

t_gulfyc.jpg
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    ked-marked-mar Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can read the Winchester proof marks, on the barrel, and reciever, you have a Trap grade. If the proof marks are hidden by the rib, you have a field gun some one as had a rib installed on. The marks I'm talking about are a oval shape, with a P, over stamped by a W. Winchester moved their manufactureing mark, over to the left side on the Trap models. There is nothing wrong with a field grade, with a rib added, only the price, should be less on the field grade. They shoot to the same point of aim, if a Trap stock has been installed, with the rib. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let us know. K.J.S.