In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

recoil on 380 Llama

dchristiandchristian Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a much maligned 380 Llam Micromax which I have shot some 750 times. I have no real complaints about it other than it kicks more than my WW11 Remington Rand 45. The other day someone at the gun range mentioned that the recoil could be reduced by taking a couple of loops out of the recoil spring. Is that true? If so I would get an extra set of springs and try it. If not, I don't want to screw things up.
Thanks for anyone's input.
dchristian

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Forget shorting the recoil spring all your going to do is damage the gun.
    If you think the recoil is too much try some lighter loads.
    I have a Llama IIIA 380 and working up so range loads with a 95 gr cast bullet pushed by 2.4 gr of bullseye.

I have really never thought the recoil being excessive in mine I just hate the slide bites if I don't get a good grip on it.

t_gulfyc.jpg
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Don't do it, it will allow the slide to move early and will increase your chances of having an explosive case failure. You probably need a stiffer recoil spring if anything. Check with Wolffsprings and see if they offer any replacement springs for the Micromax. It is never a good idea to cut on a recoil spring.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some significant diffences between early and later versions of the 380 Llama. The early ones functioned with a LOCKED BREECH, quite unusual for a 380 and had less FELT recoil than the newer ones that are straight BLOWBACK.
    I no longer(sadly) have my old one, but it was a delightful little piece. Whatever recoil it had (not too bad), I attributed to its rather light weight.
    Have fun, be careful!
    Morty
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one and sold it. Never cycled right. Nice little gun, I wish I had better luck with it.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you shoot a gun a lot and the recoil is uncomfortable, you should either change the grips to rubber ones (or use a Hogue Handall) or try wearing a pair of shooting gloves. Small guns can have a lot of sharp recoil.

The alternative is to a shoot a 44 mag and switch back to the 380. You'll swear there was no recoil at all in your little gun. [:D]

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    dchristiandchristian Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank all of you.
    dchristian