In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 wood stock

grantsweldinggrantswelding Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a new walnut BDL stock/gloss finish. My problem is, I want to remove the high gloss finnish, do I have to proteck the black caps from the stripping fluid?

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you wanting to completely refinish it? Or just take the gloss off? You might be able to use some steel wool or fine sandpaper and dull the finish without refinishing the whole stock (if you desire to). I know some plastics will react adversely to solvents, but I don't know for sure...

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used 0000 steel wool to remove the glossy from a 700. Just rub lightly and it will look fabulous.
    It will still have finish, it just won't be gloss!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHY????

sell it, and buy a synthetic stock, with some cash left over.

Or buy a Boyd laminated, unfinished stock,and finish it yourself.

Either way, you are ahead of the game. Destroying a factory 700 BDL stock is a waste of money

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has to be that stock, use steel wool to scuff it up, and then mix some matte finish varnish and thinner up in a spray gun, turn the pressure down, hang it by a wire so you don't touch it, and spray the matte finish varnish on. It will look factory perfect, and have a thick layer of protectant over the wood. Dings in that thick layer can always be "sprayed" out with a new coat every few years.[8D]

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.