In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet moulds

skyhawkpilotskyhawkpilot Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hi; I have an 8x56R Mauser M-95 and it is very hard to find factory shells for this gun so I am going to make my own. The only problem I have is that I can't find anybody who makes or sells .329 dia bullet molds. I could buy a Lyman bullet sizer and use 338 dia. bullets and size them down but the sizer is expensive. Anybody know where I can get a .329 bullet mold ? Thanks.....

Comments

• Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you try to size a cast bullet down that far, I'll tell you what I did...I had an early model .454 and ammo was not available... Neither were 300 gr.+ bullets.. I got smart... I got me a .458 mold and cast up a bunch..I bought additional sizing dies to step the .458s down to .451 /.452.... It was difficult and took a lot of time... They were very inaccurate..I checked a little closer and discovered that the bullets did not remain in the center of the sizing die /dies .. The outside diameters were not concentric with the centerlines...Nothing I did seemed to work, so I shot lighter bullets until the caliber gained enough popularity for some mfgs to make some 300 and 300+ Gr. bullets. I can't say that you can't make the idea work, but you will have to reduce the OD of yours a bit farther than mine and your bullets will have a longer body to allow distortion.... Hope this helps..
  • Options
    nam barneynam barney Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the posting on 8X56R reloading!!!!!
  • Options
    Myra-LouMyra-Lou Member Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir the closest I have found is an old lyman #328371 Spt, flat base, 151gr.,four grease groove...I'm talking OLD.....If the gun is not a collectable I'd screw on another barrel....but now we are talking headspace etc......BEST OF LUCK.....john...........................I guess I got to say something 'cool' or 'witty' like the others so as to impress you or anyone else reading this....ok......."when you have to shoot, SHOOT! don't talk."
  • Options
    Myra-LouMyra-Lou Member Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir looking further into this are you sure it's not a '8x56R Hungarian Mannlicher' caliber on a Mauser 95?....this is .329 dia....Heck I'd get a cheap lee mould 8mm...C324-175-R....shoot it gas checked and let it orbitrate....you only be out a couple bucks...I fail to see where you are going to get the brass at? and if you do, it for sure will be Bredan primed........HAY I WISH YOU A WHOLE BUNCH OF LUCK......john.....
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    SKYHAWKPILOT; I think I have what your looking for...http://www.mountainmolds.com/ this fella can make just about anything your little heart desires with about any tip style.

Here is a place to get a die for swadging bullets...http://corbins.com/index.htm I currently have a 600.00+ order in to this company for a custom bullet in .40 cal. I went with a new swadge press and the whole nine yards, but you can get either type of dies or molds built for under 200.00 in any dia. with any style base, in any weight at either of these two places....Good Luck

Mark...the 280man

Life is too short to date ugly women!
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could also cast .323 bullets and learn to paper patch them up to size. It's not as hard as some people think.

Woods