In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Laser Sights-are they usfull?

IKMDIKMD Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
What's your opinion on Laser sights?

God Bless USA!

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Somewhat useful depending on the application. I have one on my open bolt MAC 10 (in .45) that I use to investigate late night happenings at my pawnshop. In the dark or when open sights are useless, they can work wonders geting you on target without shouldering your weapon.

Downside: Somewhat fragile, useless in daylight, battery powered, forget a standard holster, and if you light it off too early, you have given your opponet a reference point to fire at.

As always, trade off on everything. In my particular application, it's okay. you must evaluate your situation to determine if it will fit your needs.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I think they are about as useful as a bicycle is to a fish.

I tried one once. Found I could line up my sights and get a well aimed shot off faster than I could find the little red dot downrange.

I guess it depends on what you are used to.

I do like night sights. They are great in low-light environments. For inside a small shop or a room in a house, you should be able to hit a paper plate at such ranges without aiming anyway.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anyone can find me a self defense shooting where they have been USED let me know. Not just on the gun but USED.same for night sights. My partner Julio Santiago invented night sights in 1969. He couldn't find any. email the documentable cases to office@plusp.com.
  • Options
    j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geuss you guys never had a beam on you. See what attitude a drunk or other attacker has when he notices that he's been lit up, and your laser has paid for it self when you dont even have to fire. As for giving away your position, A attacker is not going to be thinking offense when he sees a beam, he gonna be thinking it's time to get the hell outa dodge. As for holster problems, get a lasermax internal laser and --problem solved. As for battery concearns, i have had mine for 2 years and still works like new. IKMD, any questions just e-mail me.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    For intimidation purposes, a laser is hard to beat. For aiming purposes, though, you're better off using the iron sights.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both night sights and a lasermax built-in laser. I somewhat agree that it gives your location away, but over-all, I think they are nice to have. Either you can use them as suggested and hope that will back down the intruder, if that doesn't work - pull the trigger. You shouldn't ever point your gun at something you don't intend to shoot. If you don't intend to shoot an intruder (if it comes to that), then grab a flashlight...
    I don't usually turn my laser on when investigating a noise in the house, but it is nice to have at a flick of the switch. Mine has had the batteries in it since '97 and they are still bright enough to see during the day (but you have to look for it, my laser is the hi-intensity model). I do think I'll change the batteries this year.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I have set up several hand guns and long guns with lasers. They are 'fun' but if my life is on the line I don't want to depend on batteries. I do believe in using night sights. If they fail you are no worse off than not having them. DO NOT DEPEND ON GADGETS WHEN YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE.[xx(]
    Darrell,
    One reason you can't find any shooting involving night sights is because when a cop 'reports' a shooting you are told to say " I used my issue (revolver, pistol, shotgun, etc)and shot the suspect". I HAVE NEVER SEEN A POLICE REPORT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE SIGHTING SYSTEM USED IN ANY SHOOTING. If the weapon was equiped with night sights it goes unnoticed. I know of atleast two low light shooting where a duty gun with n/s was used, And no mention of this was made in a police report, WHY SHOULD IT BE. As you posted earlier, the DA nor the courts care what gun, ammo, or sight you use, they only care if you were justified or unjustified.[?]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And no mention of this was made in a police report, WHY SHOULD IT BE
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I'm NOT talking about a police "report"...I'll take anecdotal. Seems odd such things are so elusive. You'd think the makers would have a bunch. Never found any there either. Me thinks it says something.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Darrell,
    I never had to pull the trigger (on a handgun) after I started using night sights, but I have had to "manage" many "threats" while I was equipted with n/s and it sure made be feel better knowing that if I need to go the "top" of the use of force continuum I could hit the target even in the dark.[^]
    And as I said, we had several shooting in low light conditions after we were issued weapons (S&W 5906s) with n/s. I can't say that everyone involved DEFINATLY used their n/s, but I don't think they would not, it is as natural as breathing. I put n/s on my M-19 about three years before we went to the autos. As you are aware you have ask specific questions to get specific information. I guess these questions were never ask!!!

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    IRONSTICKSIRONSTICKS Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a laser sight in my Glock and like it very much. Seems to take half the skill out of shooting.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If anyone can find me a self defense shooting where they have been USED let me know. Not just on the gun but USED

I can find you an OFFENSIVE shooting. An LEO that my buddy (also and LEO) works with was shot by someone who had a lazer on their gun. Fortunately his BPV did it's job, though I believe seeing the beam did cause him to hesitate a split second.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Darrell,
    I never had to pull the trigger (on a handgun) after I started using night sights, but I have had to "manage" many "threats" while I was equipted with n/s and it sure made be feel better knowing that if I need to go the "top" of the use of force continuum I could hit the target even in the dark.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    So we have an ..." It ALMOST happened to me..." Doesn't count. I had a set of night sights on my gun when I met the wife. Does that mean they get good looking girls? Also you make a LOT of assumptions. You assume you will look at the gun instead of the threat (weapon threat focus) and you assume there will be time and 80% or MORE of all such shootings are at 10-11 feet and the rest pretty much at 21 feet where such need is marginal at best even with a stretch. Seems odd the man who invented them can't find this most elusive creature. I think that says a LOT. We found many shootings claim they were ON the gun..but when pressed to see if they were USED the story fell apart.